Dana hops, any info?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmawar

Reaction score
I have been googling around but can not find any user reviews on Dana hops, according to the supplier thay are bred from Magnum but have a more citrus flavour which sounds great to me.

They are HALF the price of most other hops so I'm slighty worried about the quality of the finished beer, but with that kind of saving I could really turbo charge my IPA/IIPA's without it costing any more than normal.

Anyone have anything to say about this hop?

Run a cheap SMaSH with it. You'll get a feel for the hop's characteristics without risking an expensive grainbill on a less-than-stellar hopbill. At least, that's what I would do before risking spending the money on grains for an IIPA.

Yeah I was thinking the same djfriesen, just wondered if anyone could weigh in before I place my spring hop order, if they are any good I could grab a few bags.

Pale malt and Dana hops brew has been in the fermenter for 5 days, it is sat next to my Centenial, Columbus and Simcoe 1.070 IPA and they are filling the room with a great smell of Beer Futures!

the Dana Brew OG was 1.040 so should be a quick turn around time to find out what these hops can do.

Pale malt and Dana hops brew has been in the fermenter for 5 days, it is sat next to my Centenial, Columbus and Simcoe 1.070 IPA and they are filling the room with a great smell of Beer Futures!

the Dana Brew OG was 1.040 so should be a quick turn around time to find out what these hops can do.

keep us posted. :mug:

whoops, I didn't report back on the outcome of the Dana Hops.

well, very very subtle flavour, and a mild bitterness for the AA, in a smash it made a boring IPA.

I used it to bitter a Cascade/citra IPA to save on the expensive hops and it fair well in a side by side to its all cascade/citra brethren.

But the amount of bitterness I got off them for the amount I used, it probably worked out to the same cost!!!

So no chance for an EEIPA (Eastern European India Pale Ale) with these then? ;)

Back