One or two good 6'ers from S.E. coastal USA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC1

Reaction score
So my brother is traveling to South Carolina, by car, and I figured this would be a good chance to try some hard-to-obtain beers. I'll just have him drive them up to Michigan. Give me your best suggestions, I'm not picky either!

Keep in mind I'll probably only have him purchase two or three 6-packs max.

Terrapin Brewing is always good, especially if you can find any of the Monster Beer Tour offerings (4 packs).

If you like darker beers, Duck Rabbit has some good stouts and porters.

I was a bit north of there (NC and VA) a few weeks ago and tried as many local beers as I could get my hands on.

Highland Brewing in Asheville had a pretty good stout..I think called Mocha Stout?
Also I had their Oatmeal Porter which I very much enjoyed. Smooth & creamy with a solid roastiness in the background and a dry finish.

There were some beers from this pretty local place to the Charlotte area called Olde Mecklenburg Brewery that seemed to focus on German styles. They had a delicious Dusseldorf Alt called OMB Copper, and also a beautiful Munich Dunkel (I think called "Dunkel Lager" that was my favorite on tap at the bar during my layover in Charlotte.

If you like really good IPA's, try "Hoppyum" from Foothills Brewery in Winston-Salem, NC. Also for some good local breweries that have a fairly wide distribution here in SC, try RJ Rockers, Thomas Creek (their "Up the Creek IPA is awesome!), and Westbrook, which also has some really good brews.

I also agree with the Terrapin, their "Hopsecutioner" is great as well as their Rye Pale Ale. Sweetwater's (Atlanta) "Dank Tank" series are good also and they also have a pretty good IPA, "420".

Highland brewing Gaelic ale, and Sweetwater make great beers. The 420 pale ale is what I have in the fridge right now. The IPA is very tasty as well.

I agree with Thomas Creek. Small brewery, but pretty cool. If he can stand to drive a few hours south, there's Sweetwater in Georgia!

Sweetwater IPA is one of my favorite beers - maltly and sweeter than most IPA's and very well balanced with tons of fresh hop flavors. It's from Atlanta but it's widely distributed so should be able to pick some up in SC. I've tried a few of the other Sweetwater brews and didn't care as much for them - OK but nothing special. I agree the Highland beers are good as well.

Terrapin is a great brewery, and they have some really interesting beers. I'd recommend a rye squared. Also sweetwater is a good brewery and I really enjoy their ipa, although its not anything that'll blow you away. A bomber of fresh sticky nugs from sweetwater is great if you can find it

There were some beers from this pretty local place to the Charlotte area called Olde Mecklenburg Brewery that seemed to focus on German styles. They had a delicious Dusseldorf Alt called OMB Copper, and also a beautiful Munich Dunkel (I think called "Dunkel Lager" that was my favorite on tap at the bar during my layover in Charlotte.

You know, I had thought of mentioning this concept in my prior post...if your brother will be driving through Charlotte, there are a couple of options for picking up growlers. Old Meck, is, as noted, all German styles, and they are pretty much rheinheitsgebot. There are, however, also two brand new small breweries in Charlotte, literally across the street from each other. Both sell growlers, but neither of them package otherwise (yet) at this point. The first is Noda Brewing, and the other is Birdsong Brewing. Both are really worthy; Noda especially has some real standouts including Coco Loco (chocolate coconut stout) and Noda-rye-zed (a double RyePA).

Thank you all for the great suggestions, I'll be sure to give him a list and wait to see what he turns up with!

I'd suggest going to Hickory, NC, and picking up a couple bombers from Olde Hickory Brewery. Overall their beers are pretty good, especially their high abv stuff.

Back