Please help with my first recipe - An Extract IPA using Nugget and Simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCPAdennis

Reaction score
This is my first time trying to create a recipe - I am using Brewtarget. I am going for a hoppy IPA from extract that is not overly bitter.

7.5 lb Light LME
2 lb Vienna Steeped
1 lb Munich Steeped

1.1 oz Nugget (13%AA) 60 min
.75 oz Simcoe (12.2%) 15 min
.75 oz Simcoe (12.2%) 5 min
.5 oz Simcoe (12.2%) 0 min

Yeast: Salfale S-05

Do you think I should also Dry Hop?

I hope to brew this on Sunday so your commments are welcome.
Thanks!!!!!

I think you should always dry hop. If you're worried about it being too bitter you could reduce your 60 min addition. You could probably up the late additions (15-0) if you want more flavor and aroma as well.

I tend to make my bittering addition fairly small and load up with 5 or 6oz of late additions.

I'm curious about the 2 lbs of Vienna and 1 lb of Munich. That's the beauty of beer: each recipe is different. Since this is your first batch, I'll offer a couple of meager tips about dry-hopping:
1) Dry-hopping is only adding aroma; you won't get any additional bitterness or flavor from them.
2) I always wait until after fermentation to dry-hop. The yeast is going burp and fart like crazy during the first few days of fermentation, and you will lose a lot of the aroma if you dry-hop right away. This also pushes a layer of foam up (krausen), which leaves a ring of hop debris and other junk along the top of your fermenter. If you dry-hop, this the krausen will cause a lot of your hops to stick to that ring, again, defeating the purpose.

Happy brewing!

Just brew it, keep notes.
if it's good,, do it again,,
if it's good,, give me the recipe
If it's "not so good" change one thing and do it again
repeat till you say "wow", then send me the recipe

Back