5th Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp125racer

Reaction score
I intended for this to be a pictoral, but I got distracted by my dogs and the daughter multiple times during the brew so I didnt get pics from some parts of the process Id of liked too.

This is my first stout, and Im calling it "Thieving hour brew" as it was about 4:30am before I got to bed on brew night.

The 'kit' that I purchased from the MoreBeer aka B3 retail store in Concord, CA (Nice fellas and products that have worked well for me so far). I changed the hop schedule a bit, and added a bit more honey then then called for. My first departure from the 'recipe' provided with the kit:
christmas%20and%20misc%202006%20073.jpg

christmas%20and%20misc%202006%20076.jpg

All Sanitized and ready to go. I love the aeration stone I hooked up to the aquarium pump. Reduces lag times a ton!
christmas%20and%20misc%202006%20074.jpg

Partial Mash ... My version of "steeping" the grain:
christmas%20and%20misc%202006%20077.jpg

After a 30 min steep, 2 hop additions, and 45 mins of boil its about time for some honey!
christmas%20and%20misc%202006%20084.jpg

I didnt get a shot of the beer (which is very dark), aeration process (which is just sticking a hose in the carboy), or the cooling (which is done in the sink), but here we are about 5 days later. Fermentation is slowing down a little, and the krausen started to drop this afternoon:
beerstuffz%20001.jpg

And a bonus shot of the hefe (fireweizen) as I learned that DME is indeed flammable from that experience. Its a little chilly out in the garage:
beerstuffz%20004.jpg

Next time Ill be more detailed with the pics I promise ;)

-=gp125racer=-

The hefe is out in the garage on a giraffe table I put together for my daughter for christmas :)

Hopefully Morebeer will get the lactose I need for my Cream Ale in stock soon :)

-=gp125racer=-

Back