Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kenmore 8.8cf chest freezer will fit 7 ball lock cornies with a collar (4 on bottom & 3 on hump). Scored one on black friday for $259 delivered. Finally got it all set up last week w/ Ranco controller & 7 taps. Works very well.

Could I get a picture of this open with the cornies in it?

Or if someone has this one - White Frigidaire 8.8 cu. ft. Chest Freezer - Model# FFN09M5HW.
I'm hoping to fit 6 ball lock and the co2 tank in the 8.8 freezer with a small collar if necessary.

Thanks,
JD

I just finished up my keezer. The chest freezer I bought on craigslist (an old Amana) died about 4 weeks into my project. I had to buy a new one from Home Depot immediately since we had already started kegging the beer. I attached the collar to the lid since I was using a leftover piece of butcher block from Ikea to match our kitchen counters. The hinges are doing fine which was my biggest worry. I used an old box as an "Irish Coffin" and I haven't bothered yet to insulate anything. I can do that later. Working great.

Keezer - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

showphoto.php

Just an FYI... I was going to pick up the Holiday 5 cu ft model from Lowes today cause they are $168 with a $20 mail in rebate. After measuring the inside, it's only 14 inches square (without the compressor hump). Which would only hold one keg without a collar. The hump goes all the way across now, so with a collar you could get 4 in there with a lot of wasted space. I guess Holiday has a new model line now, they aren't as deep as they once where. The 5 cu ft isn't square (outside), it's long and narrow. Even the 7 cu ft looked like it might only hold 3.

Hey guys...I was wondering if someone could tell me the exact diameter of their cornys for me. I've googled and searched, and I get everywhere from 8" - 9-1/2".

I've got a little old freezer ("General" is the brand - 5 cu.ft) that doesn't get used and I'd like to transform it if it'll work. There's exactly 8-3/4" of space from the compressor hump to the side wall. I could get two in for sure if they're no more than 8-1/2". Could this work? Thanks in advance.

P1010500.jpg

P1010502.jpg

P1010503.jpg

Found this freezer on Craigslist for $50, the Danby 5.2 CU FT. Couldn't find any info on here so here it is!
Holds 3 kegs and 5# C02 with NO collar. The C02 will fit on the hump or on the floor of the freezer with the kegs. Depends what you like. With a collar I'd imagine you can fit 4 kegs and the C02, but I cannot guarantee this.

Took a gamble on it and so far it's been worth it. Hope this helps someone!

Hey guys...I was wondering if someone could tell me the exact diameter of their cornys for me. I've googled and searched, and I get everywhere from 8" - 9-1/2".

That's because they do vary depending on manufacturer. I would go with a 9" diameter for sizing if you are shopping.

Neon, from what I've read on these forums you will want to have an extra keg on hand so that you always have one ready. So if this is the freezer you are absolutely using, I'd say just buy two kegs and find out. If only one fits, you have an extra for conditioning.

Just an FYI... I was going to pick up the Holiday 5 cu ft model from Lowes today cause they are $168 with a $20 mail in rebate. After measuring the inside, it's only 14 inches square (without the compressor hump). Which would only hold one keg without a collar. The hump goes all the way across now, so with a collar you could get 4 in there with a lot of wasted space. I guess Holiday has a new model line now, they aren't as deep as they once where. The 5 cu ft isn't square (outside), it's long and narrow. Even the 7 cu ft looked like it might only hold 3.

Yeah, I was just down there today.. and was a bit disappointed. That looked like the perfect design with the small hump. I ended up getting the 7.2 from Home Depot instead..

GE 7.0 cu. ft. at Sam's for $186.56
ChestFreezer-GE-7.0.jpg

I got this GE 7.0 off craigslist the other day, and sized it up and am reporting that it will hold 4 kegs w/ CO2 on the outside, or 3 kegs W/ CO2 on the inside.

Edit: Dimension of the inside, not including the hump are 23 1/8 by 16 1/8 inches

This is 3 pin-locks and 1 ball-lock so 4 ball locks should fit easily. This height is the only concern if you are not wanting to build a collar. I have a ball-lock keg that has been converted to pin-lock, and with the pin-lock disconnect it is about 3/4 of an inch too tall. So, the ball-locks w/ disconnects may fit, but it would be very very close. The pin locks fit fine.
100_2750.jpg

This is 3 pin-locks and my 10lb CO2 tank.
100_2751.jpg

Here are just a couple more shots so you can see the height problem.

Pin lock connects on ball lock size keg.
100_2756.jpg

3/4 inch measured gab
100_2757.jpg

Just carted home my black Frigidaire 7.2 cu. ft. freezer today from Lowes. (Had to have them order it for me; they don't stock the black ones.)

Item #: 279057 Model: FFC0723GB

Definitely a good deal for $228, and I found a 10% off coupon, so even better.

It'll hold 3 Corny kegs plus a 10 pound CO2 cylinder without a collar, 5 plus a 10 pound CO2 cylinder with a 2x8 collar.

I think I'm going to build the collar and use it for 4 kegs, and keep a little spare room for misc. stuff.

0d0fc685.jpg

c95ec08b.jpg

I'm eyeing the 5 CF GE from Sam's. Can it hold 1 corny, a 5Lb tank, and a fermenter all at once? I haven't got the money or space for separate fermenting cooler and keezer :(

Does anyone have a list of the internal measurements of any of these freezers? I'm trying to figure out which ones I would be able to fit two 5-gallon glass carboys in? I would like the smallest size possible... The GE 5.0 cu ft. looks promising... Would they both fit in the space below the compressor hump? What about the new model of Holiday from Lowe's . The one at my local store change from the corner compressor to the rectangle one...

Does anyone have a list of the internal measurements of any of these freezers? I'm trying to figure out which ones I would be able to fit two 5-gallon glass carboys in? I would like the smallest size possible... The GE 5.0 cu ft. looks promising... Would they both fit in the space below the compressor hump? What about the new model of Holiday from Lowe's . The one at my local store change from the corner compressor to the rectangle one...

I have the GE 5.0 CF but I don't have the measurements handy, however, I don't think you will get to glass carboys in there. Perhaps if you built a shelf inside at the height of the hump and collar... When I get home this afternoon, I will update with the inside dimensions.

I'm interested in getting a chest freezer much like the one Lowlife posted- one that can hold 4 cornys and CO2 tank without a collar-

My question is: If I'm not building a collar, what is the best way to mount the taps? Have them mounted on the front or use a 4 faucet tower?
Having them on the front would be quite cheaper, but I'm afraid the taps would be too low. What you you guys think?

:( I was looking at that one too.

Any idea which one will hold 4 ball lock kegs and 2 carboys or 7.9 buckets?

I have a good chance at a couple of Danby DCF709Ws, and since my last freezer dies I'm thinking about jumping.

Has anyone looked at these units yet? Although I've made some of the great cardboard disks, I can't look in the freezers because they're still in their strapped packaging.

Danby

Well, I jumped. Bought two of these Danby DCF709s for $230 each at Home Depot, here in BC. It's a bit tight, but I can get 4 kegs in easily; 5 if I raise the collar high enough. They have a drain plug, and a manual thermostat on the front. With four kegs and at the lowest setting, it's been hovering at +1C (34F) for two days.

I have a thermo-controller ready if it drops too far, and might connect in anyway, since +1C is a little too cold for me.

new_keezer_1.jpg

new_keezer_2.jpg

Just carted home my black Frigidaire 7.2 cu. ft. freezer today from Lowes. (Had to have them order it for me; they don't stock the black ones.)

Item #: 279057 Model: FFC0723GB

Definitely a good deal for $228, and I found a 10% off coupon, so even better.

It'll hold 3 Corny kegs plus a 10 pound CO2 cylinder without a collar, 5 plus a 10 pound CO2 cylinder with a 2x8 collar.

I think I'm going to build the collar and use it for 4 kegs, and keep a little spare room for misc. stuff.

0d0fc685.jpg

I've been planning to copy your kegerator since I saw it in the https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show-us-your-kegerator-29053/index28.html thread. What first caught my eye was the attractive appearance, with the black exterior and the Polyshades Bombay Mahogany Gloss stained collar you've since added. The only thing holding me back was wondering if it could hold at least 4 corny kegs. Now the only thing holding me back is waiting for my Lowes 10% off coupon to arrive :D

Thanks a bunch Rick500! :mug:

Get the Holiday 7.0 cubic foot from Home Depot for $198.00 regular price, it holds 4 5 gal corny kegs plus a 5# CO2 tank, no collar, no waiting for sales!

BTW Lowes has the same exact freezer with the GE label on it instead, 228$.

I wanted the GE until I realised the GE brand was the same chinese stuff as all the rest.

Im new to brewing beer so this might be dumb but are you guys just turning the temp down in the freezers

I bought the Frigidaire 7cu ft freezer from lowes also. Will a 2x8 be a large enough collar then to fit cornys on the compressor hump? By the other post it sounds like thats all I need, does anyone know for sure that its true?

Every one keeps talking about the size of these freezers, I dont understand why not buy a bigger one off creigs list and be done,also is there any models from hd or lowes that you do not need a senser for and you can just turn up to 35 degrees or so. Thanks for the help !

Every one keeps talking about the size of these freezers, I dont understand why not buy a bigger one off creigs list and be done

You've got to remember that alot of people don't have room for a 19 cu ft chest freezer- I myself live in a 1 bedroom 800sq ft house w/ no garage- my space constraints are pretty strict so I've got to fit the most I can in the smallest package, you know? I don't mind because I don't need 12 taps at once! 4 is cool with me...

Anybody have the 9 cubic ft from Frigidaire? It is currently $278 according to Lowes online, with free delivery (Item #: 90724 Model: LFFC09M5HW). At $70 more than the 7 cu.ft. ones from GE/Holiday, it looks like it would be worth the extra $.

By the way, how do you folks get those big freezers home when you find them on CL? Do you all just happen to have pick-up trucks? Free delivery on a new freezer sounds pretty appealing to me for that reason, but maybe I'm missing something.

Every one keeps talking about the size of these freezers, I dont understand why not buy a bigger one off creigs list and be done,also is there any models from hd or lowes that you do not need a senser for and you can just turn up to 35 degrees or so. Thanks for the help !

I have room for a large one but I prefer to have several smaller ones. My reasoning is if I am doing a Lager I can just take out the kegs and turn it up to 58° . Then I can even do the rest in it by just turning it off and opening it up and then lager at 36° until its ready to serve. All the while still having 3 or 4 beers on tap .

Anybody have the 9 cubic ft from Frigidaire? It is currently $278 according to Lowes online, with free delivery (Item #: 90724 Model: LFFC09M5HW). At $70 more than the 7 cu.ft. ones from GE/Holiday, it looks like it would be worth the extra $.

By the way, how do you folks get those big freezers home when you find them on CL? Do you all just happen to have pick-up trucks? Free delivery on a new freezer sounds pretty appealing to me for that reason, but maybe I'm missing something.

Yup, I've got two of them and they fit in the back of my Tahoe (one at a time of course). Also they're not that heavy - just a little bulky but I was able to unload both of them myself. Once you get them out of the box they're very easy to move around.

I went with two so I can ferment in one and condition / cold storage in the other (amoung other things).

Back