Hello from a newbie brewer long time beer drinker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have brewed from extract a few times with my friend who does AG brewing. He makes some fantastic beer...anyway....

I am in the process of attempting to construct my own brew rig. I am slowly learning the lingo and have a few questions. I am an avid welder so the framework is a snap to construct. I am in the process of obtaining three 1/2 bbl kegs and already own one that I converted to a fermentor with the help of brewershardware.com

I would like to build a one tier brewing rig (all kegs on the same level). If I do this how many pumps would I need?

Is it beneficial to make a two tier where the HLT is above the mash tun and kettle? why?

I know I will have several questions in the near future...hopefully you guys wont think they are to elementary.

Thanks
Joe:mug:

Single tier with one pump works. I prefer two pumps as it makes everything easier. I can recirc the mash with one pump while recirc water in HLT to get ready for sparge. Two tier lets you do a gravity feed saving the expense of a pump. Some do two tier with BK below the MLT & HLT for gravity feed into BK. Single tier works best for me as I don't have to lift kegs higher than 2 feet off the ground - this helps with the back.

Ultimately it is best to try out the different methods before building, so if you know people who have stands try and go help out on a brew day.

I like the idea of a single tier system...all within a few feet off the ground

My brew buddy has a sabco setup which is a little too rich for my blood. Is it possible to do AG brewing without the use of a heating element found in a HERMS system?

Am I able to control the mash temps with careful monitoring of the propane or am I goig to have to come up with some kind of heat exchanger?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Back