circulating mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
The new brewery is getting close to completion. I have a direct fire MT. But don't have a pump. Can I circulate wort using a pitcher like I'm doing a vorlof? Or dose it have to be constant?

recirculation is cool and requires less labor, but you can still vorlauf and lauter the same way, its just not as cool

Thats what I was thinking. I just didn't want to scorch the wort.

if your temps are around mash/sparge temps you will not be able to scorch the wort, monitor your temp if you are going to have direct heat

I just uploaded a new pic of the brewery. check it out in my gallery. What do you think?

I think you will have problems without recirculation. My MLT is direct fire and if I stop recirulation while heating temps go crazy. I have a full false bottom and the temp at the bottom will jump 20 to 30 degrees higher than what it reads in the grain bed. Keep your flame low it doesn't take much.

I agree with derekm. The mash that is in contact with the directly heated portion of the MLT has to be evacuated almost immediately while the flame is on. My suggestion would be to do your best to insulate the tun so that you don't need to apply heat too often and stir the heck out of it when you do.

Back