100% brett lambicus hop selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maskednegator

Reaction score
I've got a big starter of brett L ready to go, and I'm struggling to figure out what hops to use.
I'm thinking that the grist will be mostly Vienna, with some rye malt added for body and head retention. I also have a little over a pound left of wet hops (local cluster varietal called Julian Gold - used another lb with a centennial dry hop that was quite nice) that I was planning on throwing in late in the boil. I'm thinking this sounds pretty rad, but it's my first all brett brew, so I thought I'd do a little sanity check.

Am I better off using fruity hops to accentuate the pineapple that the starter's throwing off, or should I go with something spicy/herbal instead?

Most brett beers I've tasted seem to come out a little more herbal and funky on the nose rather than fruity. I guess what I am trying to say is herbal will probably match the style better. Just my 2 cents tho

Styrian Goldings have a nice orange note while still having an earthy quality to them. Low aa%, low co-humulone and low myrcene. It is what I would go with.

Update:
grist was 10 lbs Belgian pils, 1 lb torrified wheat, 0.5 lb aromatic malt. 1.065 to start.
bittered with a half oz of galena and used 14oz of fresh cluster in the last 20 minutes of the boil.
Tried the hydrometer sample last night (down to 1.015 - think it'll drop lower?) and it's like a very mild baked brie with pomegranite and pineapple. I'm quite pleased.

The beer eventually dropped down to 1.008 after 2 months on the cake, and I dry hopped it with 3oz centennial for a week before bottling. Got scoresheets back from the Bruery's batch 300 homebrew contest - they gave this an average of 33, complaining that there was a touch of oxidation present.
I think the lesson here is that the late hops were a waste. I'd stick with dry hops only next time.

Back