My uncle is convinced...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your uncle is full of FAIL. If you look at the trend, prohibition led to a vast decrease in breweries, but the numbers have been steadily increasing since then.

Haha, I'm not going to insult your uncle, but if anything, I would say that they are on the rise.

It's a trend and not a fad. Americans will trade up in value and spend more for quality.

Tell your uncle that if it was a fad Bud would not be making an Ale to combat it.

Fad's are ignored, trends are joined in progress.

Oddly, I see the craft industry shrinking slightly for a time if there is a true recession. It might weed out a few of the crap breweries, but the craft industry will remain strong.

Not sure where the OP lives, but here in the Willamette valley there are so many brewpubs and microbreweries it's hard to keep them all straight. It would be difficult to imagine them disappearing, although I think there isn't all that much room for more.

Haha, he isnt related to my aunt by blood, but i do have double first cousins.

I had to respect my elders and all that, but i wanted to tell him how wrong he was.

I don't think there's an uncle, I think you're just trying to stir the pot.:cross:

If you do have an uncle, his parents must be related.:D

I saw the title of this thread, and I figured I knew where it was headed before I even opened it. An, YESSUH. HBT has not let me down. This thread is heading in the forecasted direction. Your Uncle does not know the facts, or you are trying to stir the pot.

Craft beer sales are up 11% in the first half of 2008. Can you see people saying that it is so expensive that they will go back to drinking Bud?

Once you taste good beer you won't go back.

Beer is recession proof.

Considering many of the craft breweries are approaching their 25th year (some more) and it is the only segment of the brewing industry that is growing, I suspect your uncle isn't swayed by facts or flavor.

There's usually way more drinking in poorer towns, maybe the industry will actually grow in a poorer country. you never know...

microbrew is on the way out...which is why Michelob and Budweiser put out 'craft' beer and an 'ale' now.

its why Nebraska is looking at allowing regular breweries in the state, instead of local brew pubs only (with a very strict restriction on those too)

Guessing your uncle buys Keystone or PBR by the case as well

Considering many of the craft breweries are approaching their 25th year (some more) and it is the only segment of the brewing industry that is growing, I suspect your uncle isn't swayed by facts or flavor.

microbrew is on the way out...which is why Michelob and Budweiser put out 'craft' beer and an 'ale' now.

Two indisputable points to point out to your uncle.

jpowers1 said:
There's usually way more drinking in poorer towns, maybe the industry will actually grow in a poorer country. you never know...

Interestingly enough, it has! According to an article I read a little while back, people haven't sacrificed their taste in beer or amount they drink. Everyone needs a beer to cry into in this economy.

Yeah, the 16 beers on tap that my local micro makes, besides the many contract brews they do, and starting about this coming week, I think, the first of the MBC vodka should be for sale; these are probably all signs of their pending demise.

BTW, the vodka is unbelievable, and I helped make it.

Oh and tell your uncle that they discovered a few years back that the earth is round as well...:D

Is not is not is not!

Heretic! Heretic!

spanish-inquisition-04.jpg

I have an uncle who worked 30+ years for a Budweiser distributer and he says the exact same thing. Last time I was home.... Christmas.... he gave me this whole lecture on how no microbreweries actually make money.

BTW, I've been to family functions (weddings, etc.) with open bars where Bud and Bud Light are guzzled and Sierra Nevada is just ignored.

I have an uncle who worked 30+ years for a Budweiser distributer and he says the exact same thing. Last time I was home.... Christmas.... he gave me this whole lecture on how no microbreweries actually make money.

Tell him just 'cause he works for a distributor doesn't make him a smart guy...;)

craftbeergraph.jpg

Latest posts

Back