Grain w/ bugs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegun

Reaction score
Buggy grain as we set up to brew a Tripel. Anyone ever done this? I know the heat will kill them, but SWMBO is worried about filtering them out. Plan to use a hop sock as we run off into the kettle. I figure any that make it through that will settle out. What would you do?

Those are the weevils that eventually will hatch in any grain. Weevils lay their eggs on the grain and will hatch in time. Folks brew with buggy grain, but I wouldn't make a habit out of it, as the bugs eat up the stuff that you want in the grain.

TL

I imagine whatever carbs they eat will be replaced by protein. What we may lack in body, we'll make up for with head. Heating up sparge water....

It may look unappealing, and given the choice, of course we'd all like to brew with non-buggy grain, but it really isn't a big deal.

Unless I'm using it right away, I leave my grain in the plastic bags I buy it in, put that in a freezer bag, and pop it in the freezer until the day I'm ready to use it. That'll keep them from hatching out.

Edit: If you happen to have them hatch out near your food storage, they're really difficult to eradicate, and will get into your flour, cereal, etc. One more reason to make sure they don't hatch.

It'll be okay to use but it was a big psychological issue when i had it. I knew it was okay but i had to really pretend they were herb flavorings to enhance beer flavor. =)

Back