Convert LME to DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdt3xas2006

Reaction score
I'm getting ready for my second brew and have a question regarding LME and DME. My first brew was a Cooper kit, pretty much boil and pour. Easy. Now however, I want to step up to using a recipe but for reasons I won't go into, I can't use LME. My question then is when looking at a recipe that calls for so many lbs. of LME, how do I decide how much DME to use instead? In short, how do I convert LME to DME in a recipe?

Thanks for helping me get to my own personal beer Nirvana!

If you have a recipe that specifies DME, multiply the amount by 1.25 to get the necessary amount of LME. To convert from LME to DME, divide by 1.25.

*EDIT* that's not the one I normally use...I googled and that came up...but it didn't seem right.

Here's what I normally use...

LME to DME * 0.89
DME to LME * 1.10

And for those that want to convert to an all grain:
1lb Base grain = 0.67lb DME = 0.75lb LME

dont forget the taste will be different. the coopers kits are prehopped as they say.

OK so you have to take the LME spray it through a misting system into a hot dry room, like a kiln on low. Spray it all out making sure that it dries completely into a powder. Collect all of the powder and you have converted LME into DME!! Wasn't that easy?;)

cheezydemon said:
OK so you have to take the LME spray it through a misting system into a hot dry room, like a kiln on low. Spray it all out making sure that it dries completely into a powder. Collect all of the powder and you have converted LME into DME!! Wasn't that easy?;)

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!:ban:

Excellent. Thanks for the quick replies, everyone. Now all I have to do is find a kiln to go with my misting system.

kdt3xas2006 said:
Excellent. Thanks for the quick replies, everyone. Now all I have to do is find a kiln to go with my misting system.

I'm sure the DIY guys have a solution.

I'm thinking cookie sheets in the oven at 200 degrees.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back