Bottle now, prime later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skw

Reaction score
I'm flying overseas soon and want to bring some homebrew for a friend. I'd like to minimize weight and risk of an explosion. I was wondering if I could fill some plastic bottles without sugar, take them on the flight, then add priming sugar and carbonate when I get there?

Oh man. You could, but measuring would ba a PAIN!

You would have to leave room, boil the priming solution there, add EXACTLY the right amount to each bottle.

I would prime and bottle, pack them WELL, packing tape wrapped tops.

Sure but if you use the right amount of sugar and your beer is properly finished fermenting there is no risk of explosion. Might as well get it started. It takes a good two weeks to carbonate.

First you may want to make sure you can do that because if one thing is a beotch, it's customs.

Anyway prime it right before going, pack it in a cooler put it in your suit case (not carry on) pack the cooler well so they won't break and tape around the lid and neck.

Carbonation drops or Prime Tabs would help with the measuring, but are you staying at this far flung destination more than two weeks? I would prime and bottle right before going. They would be in the same shape when you land as if you didn't prime them at all.

Back