Your LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish they would leave me alone when I'm browsing.

If I have a question, I'll find them. No, I don't need help selecting a bottling spigot. :cross:

Actually I remember the humble one now, didn't know about the Seabrook, but that's also far from me. Which one do you go to?

I live in Humble, so it's an easy choice for me. Nice guys, and the monthly Beer Fridays are a lot of fun.

. The owner of the established LHBS is an ass - he belittled me when I was first starting out and I've heard him do it to other brewers as well. I only purchase CO2 at his store and that's it.

That sucks. There must be an alternative in your area for CO2. Check welding suppliers, soft drink distributors and industrial gas suppliers and maybe you won't have to go in there at all.

kingwood-kid said:
I live in Humble, so it's an easy choice for me. Nice guys, and the monthly Beer Fridays are a lot of fun.

Tell me more about these beer fridays.

I hear you. At the one local to me (Salem NH) the guy wasn't terribly helpful with my beginner questions. Then when I went all grain I was buying a sack of two row and a sachet of yeast. He rang me up at $8 more for the two row than he quoted me the previous day on the phone. When I told him that I'd take a pass on it he told me that the yeast (US-05) would cost me $6. I'll never darken their door again.

I now happily drive the extra 30 minutes to Nashua to a shop with a fantastic staff.

We have 2 in Tucson, but I only buy from one. I've been a loyal customer of theirs since they opened. The newer store is closer to me, but I've never even been inside.
The store I buy from is extremely helpful, let me weigh and crush my own grains, yada yada.

tom_gamer said:
Tell me more about these beer fridays.

The next one is this Friday and basically there's a couple coolers and a whole lot of beer. Homebrew and commercial. Sometimes there's 40 people sometimes there's 10. People just hang out and talk beer and everything else. Bring a small tasting glass
:)
It's from 7 to whenever

My LHBS and I have a very particular relationship. They try to over charge me and I resist and buy from people that will sell to me at a discount. What my LHBS is to me: A source for fresh yeast, that has not been cooked in the heat; a fantastic supply of specialty grain; last minute ingredients/chemicals; and helpful knowledge on specific items NOT specific recipes. I also find that the LHBS is more receptive when I bring a few cold ones along. YMMV but the cold ones are a huge help IMO...

stat said:
The next one is this Friday and basically there's a couple coolers and a whole lot of beer. Homebrew and commercial. Sometimes there's 40 people sometimes there's 10. People just hang out and talk beer and everything else. Bring a small tasting glass
:)
It's from 7 to whenever

PM the time after this. Im leaving town but I want in.

Funny that the area you live in is a huge producer of barley and I believe that both Budweiser and Dos Equis have malting operations there.

The irony is not lost on me but there is a predominant religion here that doesn't drink alcohol, which means the craft beer scene (actually anything related to alcohol) is stunted compared to the rest of the country. We do have a few good local breweries and brew pubs, and I'm meeting more and more people interesting in homebrewing and craft beer.

PM the time after this. Im leaving town but I want in.

It's always on their website, backyardhomebrewers.com. Just sign up for the newsletter and you'll be reminded. No invitation/membership required, just show up with a few beers and a small glass.

Back