New Product! Cool Brewing Fermentation Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolBrewing

Reaction score
Hello All!

We have a new product that we are testing the market for here 1st. Simply put it is a 100% waterproof insulated cooler bag designed specifically for controlling temperatures while fermenting or lagering homebrew. (Patent Pending).

Fermenting your homebrew at the right temperature is one of the critical factors in making good beer. Let the temperature get out of whack, and you beer will suffer! Neatly and easily keep your fermentation temperatures in check with our new fermentation cooler. Our Fermentation Cooler is designed specifically to accommodate standard 6.5 and 5 gallon fermenters and carboys. Just add ice packs, ice, water (frozen 2-liters work great) or anything cold and switch out as needed to reach the desired temperature. Save time and effort in that The Cool Brewing Fermentation Cooler is sealed, insulated and 100% waterproof so it will efficiently and neatly keep your temperatures in check. When you’re done the Cool Brewing Fermentation Cooler easily folds up for storage until the next brew day!

Key Benefits over other options:
1.) Much more efficient and cleaner then homemade swamp coolers
2.) Much less expensive than custom kegorator or keezer set up
3.) Easier than buying and then hacking up a plastic cooler- Cool Brewing Cooler will work with multiple sized fermenters.
4.) It neatly conceals fermenter and is 100% waterproof so will not leave condensation.
5.) It folds up for easy storage when not in use or travel.
6.) Will work great in condos and warm climates where you need a swamp cooler even for Ale’s!

Please post or PM me with your email address and I will notify you once the product is available!

Expect the price point to be around $50 (you would be surprised at the cost of high quality materials)

See pictures below!

Our website and Facebook page will be up shortly with more information!

Cool Brew Front Clean Small.jpg

cleaned cool brew open small.jpg

Cool Top Inside Clean Small.jpg

Cool Brew Logo Close up Clean small.jpg

Any pics of them in action?

For example, 6.5gallon carboy with airlock and lid on bag closed?

-Peter

Any pics of them in action?

For example, 6.5gallon carboy with airlock and lid on bag closed?

-Peter

Peter,

See attached picture for a 5 gallon carboy keeping my winter warmer lager at cool 52 degrees. The dimensions of a standard 6.5 gallon carboy are 12.5"x20.5" plus 4" for most airlocks so they should fit no problem however they can vary so I would recommend measuring your 1st to be sure before ordering.

Carboy In Top Clean Small.jpg

Interesting idea. One issue that might arise is that a Swamp Cooler because it is using water is quite effective at keeping the wort temperature at pretty close to the water temp - probably +/- 1 or 2 degrees. Water is just very good at pulling away heat. So this being air, it'd be a bit less quick at pulling the heat out of carboy during the heavy fermentation. But you have the same issue with a refrigerator, though you can control that with thermostat. (Of course, that whole set up is a tad more than $50, isn't it.)

On the other hand, a positive is that this doesn't have, yep, water, which is a bit of a pain. Also, I have a better bottle with spigot, so I'm concerned about contamination (I understand the many reasons why I shouldn't, but I am). As a result, I'd need a garbage bag to protect.

Regardless, it's a clever idea. It's definitely worth a look.

How well does it maintain temperature, i.e. if you put a could of frozen water bottles into the bag, how many degrees colder is the inside of the cooler and how long does that effect last. Do I need to put in new bottles every six hours, every day, every couple of days, etc.?

Interesting idea. One issue that might arise is that a Swamp Cooler because it is using water is quite effective at keeping the wort temperature at pretty close to the water temp - probably +/- 1 or 2 degrees. Water is just very good at pulling away heat. So this being air, it'd be a bit less quick at pulling the heat out of carboy during the heavy fermentation. But you have the same issue with a refrigerator, though you can control that with thermostat. (Of course, that whole set up is a tad more than $50, isn't it.)

On the other hand, a positive is that this doesn't have, yep, water, which is a bit of a pain. Also, I have a better bottle with spigot, so I'm concerned about contamination (I understand the many reasons why I shouldn't, but I am). As a result, I'd need a garbage bag to protect.

Regardless, it's a clever idea. It's definitely worth a look.

How well does it maintain temperature, i.e. if you put a could of frozen water bottles into the bag, how many degrees colder is the inside of the cooler and how long does that effect last. Do I need to put in new bottles every six hours, every day, every couple of days, etc.?

Good Questions!

So far I am actually surprised myself at how well this works compared to a traditional swamp cooler where I was switching out 3-4 ice 2 liters every 12 to 24 hours!

Now it is hard to put a specific saying that 1 frozen bottle will lower the wort temperature so many degrees because there are many other variables in each situation. However In our testing so far we observed the following with a 5 gallon batch:

2 frozen 2-liters switched out every 36 hours lowered and then kept the temp an average of 11 degrees cooler than the outside temp.

3 frozen 2-liters switched out every 36 to 48 hours kept the temp an average of 15 degrees cooler than the outside temp.

We will of course keep testing with more variables such as batch size and style for more data and a nice bonus of more beer!:mug:

Good Questions!

So far I am actually surprised myself at how well this works compared to a traditional swamp cooler where I was switching out 3-4 ice 2 liters every 12 to 24 hours!

Now it is hard to put a specific saying that 1 frozen bottle will lower the wort temperature so many degrees because there are many other variables in each situation. However In our testing so far we observed the following with a 5 gallon batch:

2 frozen 2-liters switched out every 36 hours lowered and then kept the temp an average of 11 degrees cooler than the outside temp.

3 frozen 2-liters switched out every 36 to 48 hours kept the temp an average of 15 degrees cooler than the outside temp.

We will of course keep testing with more variables such as batch size and style for more data and a nice bonus of more beer!:mug:

Are those the beer's temps, or air temps inside the bag?

That is the wort temp

Hi All,

I thought I would share this graph for those who would like to see the detailed data of the testing referenced in my previous post. The attached graph shows the temperature outside the cooler, wort temp and the difference in degrees between the outside and wort temp. This batch had 2 ice 2 liters switched out every 36 hours for the first 3 days then moved to 3 ice 2 liters switched out every 36 to 48 hours to keep the temp right around the desired 52 degrees. The temp could be lowered faster if 3 ice 2 liters were used starting out verses 2.

As you can see there are no issues reducing the wort temp from room temperature by roughly 10 degrees in 24 hours.

Cool Brew Batch Graph 1-23-12.jpg

Oh, I VERY much look forward to getting one of these!! It seems to be the answer to my prayers :)

I want one.

I use a water bath and change 64 ounce bottles (sometimes more) ever 8 hours to drop the temp about 15F.

Your product sounds better.

I would love more characterization results so when I buy you can give me a good guess on how much ice to add how often.

I want one.

I use a water bath and change 64 ounce bottles (sometimes more) ever 8 hours to drop the temp about 15F.

Your product sounds better.

I would love more characterization results so when I buy you can give me a good guess on how much ice to add how often.

Thanks for your feedback! We will work on adding as much detail in terms of characterization results to our website as possible.

I think characterizing with frozen 16.9 ounce water bottles since they are smaller and offer more control over desired temperature.

Probably not feasible for this release, but I think a nice feature would be externally mounted thermometer to check temps without opening the bag.

Everyone thank you for the feedback. We will certainly look into the feasibility of adding a thermometer as an option. We will also run an experiment using 16.9oz bottles and post this data up once complete!

Hi All,

I am excited to announce that we will be moving ahead with production due to the positive feedback! Thanks to everyone who signed up! You will be the 1st to know once we have an availability date.

Anyone else that is interested please feel free to continue to post or drop me a note for any questions, comments or to sign up for the information list.

I will post back once our website is up with additional information

I'm interested. Looks like a good option for my condo, especially in the summer when its just not efficient to keep my apt cool enough.

could you make one that will slide over a half barrel? I do BIAB and would like to throw something like this over the keggle while mashing.

I love it, PM will be sent in a sec.

Any chance there will be an option with a light heating coil inside the lining? Seems like it would be easy to throw a temp controller on there and it would open up different locations that someone could ferment in. Say you have plenty of room in the garage but only on the concrete floor and the garage is WAY to cold anyway. It would raise the temp and hold it efficiently with the insulation of the bag already.

I NEED this!!! I am tired of looking at my husbands ugly homemade cooler contraption in my bathtub. This will be a great B-day gift!!! Do you think it will be available by May?

Noticed in your tests the outside temp is actually quite low. You able to run similar tests with a higher temp...where this product is intended to help? Say..with a temp outside the bag of 80 to 90 degress?

Would be nice to know how effective it is under varying conditions, especially since I'd be using a product like this in my garage and it can get quite warm in there.

Excellent idea and potential for multiple products. Rather than incorporating a thermometer, might be even better to have a "port" or two that is sealed, but could be used for a thermometer, probe or plug to measure temps or run a hear source for the cold areas.

I second the Keg sized bag to be used for mashing. Some people ferment in a Sanke as well and I'll be using a 15 gallon poly barrel for 10 gallon batches, this could definitely be useful.

Good luck with the product!

I am interested in this as well. Hope to hear how things are coming along.

Thanks for the comments everyone! This is all great feedback!

I am pleased to announce we should have product available at the latest by early May.

We will continue to look into options such as heating coils, appropriate sizes for mashing kegs as well as integrated thermometers. These however will take time and depend on the success of the introductory product.

I will keep everyone posted as we get closer to having a firm availability date as well as when we will start accepting pre-orders!

Cheers! :mug:

is this thing rigid? or just like a soft cooler would be?
Have you thought about maybe putting a coil in it like a collapsible laundry basket might have so when its needed it can pop up and maintain shape, and when its not needed it can be pushed flat and stored away?

as an example:
0003886102849_300X300.jpg

also would it be able to accommodate a blow off tube?

is this thing rigid? or just like a soft cooler would be?
Have you thought about maybe putting a coil in it like a collapsible laundry basket might have so when its needed it can pop up and maintain shape, and when its not needed it can be pushed flat and stored away?

as an example:
0003886102849_300X300.jpg

also would it be able to accommodate a blow off tube?

Thanks for the feedback. The cooler bag is somewhat soft similar to a typical flexible cooler. Adding a spring was considered however it would add to the cost and complexity with the insulation in our current configuration and the cooler works great without it. With the zipper top it can accommodate a blow off tube.

Back