CO2 Gauge Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
New to kegging. Tried to carb a beer by loading it up with co2 so my buddies could have some in a few days; now the the CO2 gauge is stuck at 20. On the back of the gauge there are two screws which I am hoping if I mess with it will re-set. I thought I would post here first for assistance before I destroy anything. Is it possible to have the gauge reset to 0 if so any ideas how? Thanks!

Those gauges are typically for calibrating... I wouldn't mess with them unless you have no other choice. In my experience when a gauge sticks it is usually the back plate being warped enough, or pushed to one side enough, to catch the needle. That or the needle is bent back a little and dragging on the back plate. If you can remove the lens then push the back plate a little, or pull the needle a little forward, to straighten it out that should solve the problem. Most lenses can be removed by twisting the cover off or they have a little crease you can push a small screwdriver into to pop them out.

How have you determined the gauge is actually stuck?

If the regulator is connected to a keg charged to 20 psi, the gauge will read 20 psi even with the tank valve closed and the regulator shut down...

Cheers!

Thanks Tom! Feel like an idiot; a few flicks off the gauge and it flipped back to 0. Quite a bit off moisture in the keezer may have caused the backplate to warp. I'm sure it will stick again but at least I know the problem.

Anybody know a good way of removing the lens? I have tried pushing the cap holding the lens with a screwdriver. Either it is really tight, or, that is not the way to get the gauge off.

I couldn't get my cover off either; a few taps and the needle dropped back down to its original position. The paper/carboard backing has warped so it won't register much over 20lbs, other than that it works fine.

Maybe warming it up a little and twisting.

Anybody know a good way of removing the lens? I have tried pushing the cap holding the lens with a screwdriver. Either it is really tight, or, that is not the way to get the gauge off.

I had the same problem with a regulator I bought off Craig's List. I could see that the paper backing was creased and stopping the needle. After spending a long time unsuccessfully trying to get the cover off I added a new gauge to an online order and just replaced it. I think it was $7 or so for a new one.

This is similar to what I bought

I wasn't too concerned with it because I have multiple secondary regulators to adjust the pressure to the keg, but if it was the only control it could be a little frustrating.

I too think nothing is wrong, but that you have 20psi in the system, so it reads 20psi.
close every valve, bleed the pressure, and i bet it drops to 0psi

Latest posts

Back