What I Have & What should i expect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbeardlex

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post on this forum!!! After reading alot through the threads, I believe this is a great community and everyone seems very helpful. Anyways, I am VERY new to brewing, and I put together a kit to start doing my own combinations. here is a list of what I have and i was hoping to get some pointers and get an idea of what i should end up with.

3lb plain light DME
3.3lb amber LME
1oz German Tettnang
1oz Willamette
Wyeast 1187 ringwood ale activator

If you have any tips as to how I should begin/process this batch, anything is helpful. Thanks for all your help.

What kinds of grains would you recommend? Also what would be your process for adding the hops, I was thinking of adding the willamette early and adding the German tettnang a little later in the process.

Well,8oz of Carapils would aid in head retention & mouth feel. But those are both flavor/aroma hops of low AA%. Maybe use .5oz of which ever has the higher AA% to bitter with at 60 minutes with the DME in the boil. Then the other half ounce of the bittering one at 20 minutes,the remaining ounce at 10 or 12 minutes.
Add the LME at flame out. It'll be lighter in color & taste cleaner that way. Or use a German hop for bittering of higher AA% for bittering & the other 2oz at 20 & 12 minutes. Those late hop additions work for me.

unionrdr said:
Well,8oz of Carapils would aid in head retention & mouth feel. But those are both flavor/aroma hops of low AA%. Maybe use .5oz of which ever has the higher AA% to bitter with at 60 minutes with the DME in the boil. Then the other half ounce of the bittering one at 20 minutes,the remaining ounce at 10 or 12 minutes.
Add the LME at flame out. It'll be lighter in color & taste cleaner that way. Or use a German hop for bittering of higher AA% for bittering & the other 2oz at 20 & 12 minutes. Those late hop additions work for me.

Thanks for the help, I will definatly try some of those tips. When would you add the Carapils? Before the dme?

You should steep the Carapils in the water at about 155 F. for 20 to 30 minutes and then remove them (use a grain bag) before you bring the water to a boil as this will extract the compounds that aid in head retention. The Carapils should not be boiled.

I'd probably add .5 lb of crystal malt. Which one depends on what flavor you wish to get, and how dark of a beer. Let me plug this into Beersmith and see how the IBUs end up...

It sort of looks like you're going for an ESB, so I agree with Homer that a little crystal malt is in order to make it a little more "malt foward." I also throw some biscuit malt in mine for a bit of a "bready" quality.

As for the "what to expect" part, I strongly suggest reading How to Brew - By John Palmer . It's free online and covers everything you need to know about basic and "intermediate level" brewing.

I'd probably go with 2.5 ounces of hops.

And add .5 lb. of crystal 20L or 40L for added body and flavor. THis is based on an Amber Ale.

I'd up the hops to 3 ounces for a Pale Ale.

Welcome, fellow Lexingtonian! There's a homebrew club here in town (BOCK -- Brewers of Central Kentucky) if you're interested in finding other brewing addicts.

Thank You guys for all the help. I will definitely put some of this advice to use. And about BOCK, I will look into that!!! I don't have many friends who are into craft beer much less home brewing (I have to go to the beer trappe either by myself or with my wife!!!) so thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Back