Interesting facts about oxiclean!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

Sodium Percarbonate is Oxiclean. I've long belived oxiclean in the right strength could sanitise, though I still give a sulfite rinse. Now I know.

From above link:
Sodium percarbonate is effective as a disinfectant on both bacteria and viruses.

In fact One step is the same but with a coating on it to reduce the alkalinity of the solution.

pfranco81 said:
So can OneStep make my whites whiter?

Actually yes, but the lowered alkalinity would take away from the stain removal effect, though it would be safer on aluminum. :D

As for strength? Not sure. I used to use way way to much. If I find more info I wll report.

BTW.. still don't know what the blue crystals are in standard oxylcean. The white stuff is the percarbonate. No name brands and oxyclean free have no blue stuff. Supposedly it's a patented substance of some sort not sure what it's purpose is.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Actually yes, but the lowered alkalinity would take away from the stain removal effect, though it would be safer on aluminum. :D

As for strength? Not sure. I used to use way way to much. If I find more info I wll report.

BTW.. still don't know what the blue crystals are in standard oxylcean. The white stuff is the percarbonate. No name brands and oxyclean free have no blue stuff. Supposedly it's a patented substance of some sort not sure what it's purpose is.
Could the blue crystals be a softener of sorts...?

Edit: straight from the oxyclean site:
Q: What are the Blue Crystals/ What do they do?
A: The blue crystals in OxiClean are soil-dispersing agents that help the soil disperse (spread out) in water. This helps remove soil & stains more easily.

According to the MSDS (materia Safety Data Sheet), it's roughly half sodium percarbonate and half sodium carbonate (soda ash-- also used as a softener)

EDIT: Oh, I just love this gem of "necessary" safety information:

Precautions during handling and storage:

Do not spray solution in eyes. Do not take internally. See product label for additional information

Uh...DUH!

I think the blue crystals are a detergent added to percarbonates. I just finished off an old tub without the crystals and have started a new tub with the crystals- much more foam (i.e. soap suds) in the blue crystal one. Still rinses well though.

anojones said:
I think the blue crystals are a detergent added to percarbonates. I just finished off an old tub without the crystals and have started a new tub with the crystals- much more foam (i.e. soap suds) in the blue crystal one. Still rinses well though.

The one without the blue crystals is Oxiclean Free. It's free of dyes, fragrances, harsh detergents and chlorine bleach. That's the one I use.

EdWort said:
The one without the blue crystals is Oxiclean Free. It's free of dyes, fragrances, harsh detergents and chlorine bleach. That's the one I use.

Go back to vermont, mr. crunchy granola. ;)

There are only two ingredients listed in the MSDS. Though they both could be white, and the blue could be proprietary scent or "nonhazordous" detergeant like dish soap, since the free and versatile list the same two ingredients but free doesn't list "blue inclusions" in the description.

I personally don't notice any scent with versatile. We have both at home.

There is never chlorine in Oxiclean. If there was you'd die from chlorine gas. They don't mix very well. :)

Section 2:
COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
General Description: White granular mixture, with minor blue inclusions.

Hazardous Ingredients:
Ingredients not precisely identified are proprietary or nonhazardous

CAS # Chemical name %’age range
15630-89-4 Sodium percarbonate 30-50%
497-19-8 Sodium carbonate (soda ash) 40-60%

Latest posts

Back