Joe's IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_K

Reaction score
I was playing around with Beersmith and came up with my own recipe. It's currently in the fermenter so hopefully it turns out good.

1lb Crystal Malt 20L
.5lb Carapils
steeped at 155F for 30 minutes in 2 gallons of water

12lbs extra light dry malt extract
added 1/2 at the beginning and the other 1/2 with 15 min left

I do 5 gallon boil volumes, then top off to around 5.25 gallons at the end

60 min 1.5 oz Warrior

35 min .5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Simcoe

25 min .5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Simcoe

15 min .5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Simcoe
Whirlfloc

5 min .5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Simcoe

2 packs Safale US-05

OG was 1.092

Beersmith says it should finish @ 1.024 with 9% ABV and 91 IBU's.
Color should be 7.7.

I plan on dry hopping with 1 oz Amarillo and 1 oz Simcoe. Primary for 3 weeks and dry hop for another week in the primary. If it's finished then I'll bottle it.

This is my 7th batch. For you more experienced homebrewers out there how does this recipe look? Has anybody used 12lbs of DME in a 5 gallon batch before?

Yeah, maybe I'll add some more color next time I brew it. It depends how it turns out. I was wondering if anybody's used that much DME before in a 5 gallon batch. I was toying with the idea of using corn sugar or dry rice extract to boost the abv. I had a bunch if 3 lb bags of extra light DME so I gave it a shot. Hope it doesn't turn out too sweet.

It seems like Alot of extract. Maybe do a mini mash? The most extract I ever used in a 5 gallon batch was 6 pounds of DME. That was an IPA I made with US 05, and it had loads of body! I used Amber DME and steeped a pound of roasted Flaked barley and a pound of 65L Crystal. Great beer! The hop schedule was very simple. I'd make it again but with more hops. I just did
2 oz Northern Brewer @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 10
1 oz Amarilo dry hop.

It was delicious but more hops woulda been nice.

OG was 1.092

either you didnt mix well enough or your volume was off, your OG should be around 1.104. I would have replaced some of that DME with sugar to help it dry out more, 1.024 is a bit high for a IIPA. The IBUs are high enough that it should balance the sweetness tho.

I've put 8lbs of DME and 1.2lbs of Crystal 40 in an American IPA (6 gal batch).

At first tastings I had wished I'd used some sucrose for a drier finish but as it aged out I really appreciated the malt foundation and mouth feel that really worked with the hops (Nugget, Cascade, Centennial).

What I took away from that was using an all malt foundation will take longer to get to the design specs and your hops will need to be proportioned to compensate for the additional conditioning time but otherwise better beer (imho) results.

You should hear this thing fermenting. The blow off tube sounds like a machine gun.

Back