Raleigh are brewers - Need advice - opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Special Hops

Reaction score
So I am moving to Raleigh next month for about a 2 year stint. Any of you locals care to fill me in on such things as:

LHBS - What is (are ) the best one(s). How is service, price, selection, grain milling etc.

Brewpubs - ditto above

Water quality - Currently I have great city water to brew with and only pop in a camden tablet to get rid of the chlorine. How is the Raleigh water for brewing?

Brewclubs - Any in the area worth checking out.

Anything else you would like to share. thanks in advance

You will get plenty of answers, there are probably 200 brewers (hb) in the Raleigh and surrounding areas.

LBHS - American Brewmaster

Brewpubs - Roth Brewing, Aviator brewing, Big Boss, Lonerider, probably more I can't remember

Water - No Idea, I have a well and live in the sticks

Brewclubs - http://www.carboyclub.com/ is the organized one, there is also a group of brewers that have a mailing list, and are happy to be known as unorganized, they are called GRABASS

For other beers on tap, check out the Flying Saucer...

You will like it here,

Orlando

I just started brewing last year here in Raleigh.
LHBS: American Brewmaster is the big one, Fifth Season Gardening is starting to stock some home brew supplies but don't have the selection of ABM

Brewpubs: So many good local breweries in the Raleigh/Durham area, Aviator, Lonerider, Big Boss, Roth, Fullsteam, Natty Greenes, I am sure I am missing some off the top of my head

Water Quality: I live in Morrisville so I have Cary water, but I haven't any issues using tap water or the water from my filter on the fridge

Brew clubs: I recently started hanging out with the GRABASS guys, most of them are also on the board. I know there are at least 2 other clubs in the area as well

Raleigh is a town full of homebrewers and beer lovers in general, you'll be in good company.

American Brewmaster is the store here. Their pricing is very fair--when you count in S&H, they are in line with the best online suppliers. The selection of equipment and ingredients is solid, and they will order stuff for you if they don't have it. The guys are friendly and knowledgeable. There's a self-serve mill, and it's preset--it's always worked just fine for me.

There are two main brewpubs in Raleigh right now, Natty Greene's and Boylan Street . . . I have not been to either one, so I can't comment on the pubs themselves. I have sampled some of NG's beers and they weren't bad, but I also don't remember much about them . . . so they weren't fantastic either. There are a number of great breweries in the area with tasting rooms/bars, and the list keeps growing. There are also a decent number of bars/restaurants with nice lists: Raleigh Times Bar, Busy Bee, Flying Saucer are three big players.

Water quality here is good, though I've heard it can be a bit soft. Here's a link I found not long ago that might help you out: http://www.raleighnc.gov/home/content/PubUtilPlants/Articles/WaterQualityReports.html

Clubs:
NC Brewer's Guild -- http://www.ncbeer.org/
CARBOY -- http://www.carboyclub.com/index.htm

Welcome. This is the greatest tool for finding the breweries and LHBS: http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=triangle. I think most everyone I have brewed with here just uses it straight from the tap or just runs it through a filter. If you want to hang out sometime, keeo your eyes peeled in the brewing events and local gatherings area for GRABASS events. We usually do something around once a month. There's also a club in Durham if you end up on that end of the area. http://trubclub.com/

Agreed that this is a great area for beer and homebrewers.

I <3 Bigboss check out their tour 2nd Saturday of every month.

No one mentioned CBC Carolina brewing company.

Brewpubs- Cherry bombs is right around the corner from flying saucer,they have a big selection.(I think same owners as the LHBS American brewmasters). Tylers taproom and Cameron draft house are good too.

Raleigh is quite the beer town. No shortage of breweries or brewers around here for sure. Be sure to catch Craigslist for deals often as they dont last when people post items.

In regards to water and verifying what others are saying about it I havent ran into any problems with Raleigh water in my beer. Can taste like chlorine at times but I run mine through a charcoal shower filter before brewing. Probably unnecessary but a little peace of mind isnt always bad.

If water quality information is more important to you check out Carboy's Article. Some good info there.

Kinda just echoing things but hey - some things are worth repeating -

LHBS - American Brewmaster. I have not been to Fifth Season - have had no reason to go. And delivery from Austin Homebre to here is typically on Thursdays for my over the weekend orders - so I kinda consider them my reserve LHBS.

Local Beers - We got'em. READ THIS ARTICLE from the Raleigh Paper, from just last week.

Water Quality - I dunno. Bottle water is cheap and dependable. i don't trust no guvment water supply ....

Brewclubs - I'm (newly) on the GRABASS mail list - I can tell you I cannot wait to meet the guys in person. ( Missed out on the recent shenanigans due to a migraine )

Any thing else - Folks here are laid back. We like barbecue and beer. And despite the way we love to rail against the Northern Transplants, there are so many we cannot tell them apart anymore - LOL - It's a pretty damn fine place to be.....

Thanks for all the input guys. I just joined the Grabass mailing list and look forward to meeting some of you fine folks once I get settled in up there.

Any thing else - Folks here are laid back. We like barbecue and beer. And despite the way we love to rail against the Northern Transplants, there are so many we cannot tell them apart anymore - LOL - It's a pretty damn fine place to be.....

No worries here. I am not a yankee. Though I did spend a few years living up north. I am just right down the road (sort of) from you guys in Greenville, SC.

Prepare yourself, a good percentage of GRABASS guys are northern transplants.

This is the data I use.
&#8226; Calcium 15 ppm
&#8226; Magnesium 2.84 ppm
&#8226; Sodium 28 ppm
&#8226; Chloride 14.9 ppm
&#8226; Sulfate 40.8 ppm
Alkalinity(CaCO30 23.9 ppm

3ppm of chloramines, so i treat my tap water with campden.

Fatguy, thanks for the numbers, how did you come by them. I run my water through a carbon shower filter before brewing to remove any chlorine.

Seems he may have gotten those numbers from this post in 2009:
http://www.beerinator.com/community/index.php?topic=4195.0

If you google Raleigh water Report it will take you here:
http://www.raleighnc.gov/services/content/PubUtilAdmin/Articles/WaterQualityReports.html

There are a few different reports to click on, but there are essentially 2 treatment plants in Raleigh.

Here are the various numbers...scattered in abt 4different places on that site.

EM Johnson - Raleigh, NC (Falls of Neuse Rd)
Sulfate:52ppm
Sodium: 34ppm
Chloride: 14ppm(winter), 21ppm(summer)
Alkalinity: 18-42ppm
Hardness: 21-30ppm
Calcium: 6.5ppm
Magnesium: 3ppm
Avg ph 8.4

DE Benton - Garner, NC
Sulfate: 39ppm
Sodium: 14ppm
Chloride: ?
Alkalinity: 20-28ppm
Hardness: 54-84ppm
Calcium: 22ppm
Magnesium: ?
Avg ph ?

The use of 3-4ppm is accurate.

I have no idea how/if they are mixing them together. The Garner plant went online ~2 years ago Could always make a phone call or two, contacts are listed on that page as well.

Zombie thread!

Seriously though, Raleigh is a great beer town. Lots of great brew pubs and breweries. American Brewmaster is eh. I prefer Northern Brewer and Brewmaster's Warehouse. I live in Garner and no issues with the water. Tastes great and makes great beer.

Back