13.52 ABV on a Wheat??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
Ok so myself and my brew crew just moved our Wheat beer into a secondary and we took a reading and it came out to 13.52 abv?????? Is that normal??? Did we do something wrong???

You are going to need to provide some more details here. How did you calculate that number?

Exactly! We need to know where you started (the original gravity) and where you finished (final gravity) and we can double check for you. That seems too high if you used ale yeast. My wines finish in that area, though!

Without knowing anything, my guess is that your OG is not as high as you think it is.

If it is right, I would be really curious to hear how it turns out. I don't think I have ever had a wheat that strong before.

What size can? 3.3 pounds?

If you used 3.3 pounds of LME, your OG was 1.050. You maybe didn't get the top off water and the extract mixed up well enough to get a good reading.

S05 will give you about 70% attenuation, and poop out way before you hit 13% ABV!

By my guess, you've got 3.91%ABV.

Assuming that your can of Coopers was the 3.3 Lb size I'd guess you would be at 1.072 OG MAX.

Makes no sense to me that you would end up with an OG that high.

When I did my big wheat I used 9 LBs of LME and a pound of Carapils. My OG was 1.074. The FG was 1.012 for an ABV of about 8%.

um, did you already add priming sugar? You aren't supposed to add that until just before bottling.

You didn't mix the top off water thoroughly with the rest of the wort. There's no possible way your O.G. would be that high.

no we did not add priming sugar yet, we took the reading after it was in the first carboy for 2 weeks, we moved it over to the secondary carboy and then took the reading...no sugar added till next week

I am going to vote for an incomplete mixing of the top off water, which led to you testing a sample that was more wort than water.

The 4 pounds of DME would raise you to 1.059.

The priming sugar would raise you a insignificant amount. What I assume happened is that you didn't get a thorough mix of wort/water when you pulled your sample. The wort is heavier than the top up water, and it's incredibly difficult to get it to mix well. Unless you added an additional 6 pounds of sugar, your OG was NOT 1.112, and your yeast would have never fermented it that low regardless. There is no way to have such a high OG unless you didn't add water to 5 gallons, or unless you added more fermentables.

With the 4 pounds of DME, and 3.3 pounds of LME, your ABV would be 5.1%.

We took the sample (originally) after we mixed everything together and before we added the yeast.... I'm pretty sure we mixed it all together sufficiently but i may be wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back