Ale Yeasts for Cold Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badducky

Reaction score
Howdy,

I recently acquired a new fridge and put the old one in the garage. I'm using it for brewing. I don't have the ability to customize and fiddle with it. It does exactly what it does.

My experiments with it on the first batch indicate I can keep things between 40-50 degrees in there, only, and any attempts to get up to 55 degrees only succeeded in switching the whole thing off for a day, and the temperature ramped up to almost 90. (yikes!)

I prefer ales, not lagers so much.

What ale yeasts can take the 40-50 F range without too much trouble?

It's okay if fermentation takes a little longer. I'm concerned about off-flavors, and failure to ferment in dormancy.

Thanks,

Badducky

badducky said:
Howdy, I recently acquired a new fridge and put the old one in the garage. I'm using it for brewing. I don't have the ability to customize and fiddle with it. It does exactly what it does. My experiments with it on the first batch indicate I can keep things between 40-50 degrees in there, only, and any attempts to get up to 55 degrees only succeeded in switching the whole thing off for a day, and the temperature ramped up to almost 90. (yikes!) I prefer ales, not lagers so much. What ale yeasts can take the 40-50 F range without too much trouble? It's okay if fermentation takes a little longer. I'm concerned about off-flavors, and failure to ferment in dormancy. Thanks, Badducky

None that I know of....

Get an external temp controller or google how to build one like the STC or a Johnson

You will be happy you got one:)

There are only a few that will ferment in the mid 50's. none that will work below that. I second the temp controller.

Howdy,

I recently acquired a new fridge and put the old one in the garage. I'm using it for brewing. I don't have the ability to customize and fiddle with it. It does exactly what it does.

My experiments with it on the first batch indicate I can keep things between 40-50 degrees in there, only, and any attempts to get up to 55 degrees only succeeded in switching the whole thing off for a day, and the temperature ramped up to almost 90. (yikes!)

I prefer ales, not lagers so much.

What ale yeasts can take the 40-50 F range without too much trouble?

It's okay if fermentation takes a little longer. I'm concerned about off-flavors, and failure to ferment in dormancy.

Thanks,

Badducky

There are no ale yeasts that will be successful in the 40-50F range, they will all be dormant. Either find a lager yeast you like or raise the temp. Frankly in that 40-50F range even many lager yeasts will be sluggish. 48-55F is a probably a better temp range for primary lager ferments with most strains.

+1 for a temp controller. about $70 or less, depending on exactly how you do it, and you can control your temps to +/- 1 degree.

1728 ought to work in the upper 40s, but you'll need to pitch a lot of yeast, resuspend it some, and maybe warm it at the tail end. It's a real workhorse strain.

+1 for a temp controller. about $70 or less, depending on exactly how you do it, and you can control your temps to +/- 1 degree.

And if you are happy to run the temperature probe wire through the edge of the door seal, this doesn't involve any modification to the fridge. With one of the prewired controllers (not the cheapest option), this means no DIY or modifications.

you should not ferment ales at those temps. go with lagers or get a temp thermostat for $50-80 dollars or if you are short on money right now get a cheap timer that plugs in the wall and plug the fringe in an have the fridge turn on and off at different time to see if you can get a decent temp like 60 degree at least. its a cheap alternative and may work but the temp swing that will happen are not the best for beer fermentation. if you go this route get one with multiple on/off cycles the more cycle the less temp fluctuation heres a cheap example of what I mean..

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-TN311C-Heavy-Grounded-Timer/dp/B00002N5FO/ref=sr_1_9?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1380297322&sr=1-9&keywords=light+timer
do some looking around you might find a cheaper one than this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to Kolsch yeasts and 1728. They do fine at mid-50s and produce awesome beers.

The lowest I've ever tried Nottingham is at 55*F. It's a bit slow there, but works. It will, however, be very lager-like which is what you're trying to avoid, right?

Why not spend the $25-30 to build a digital outlet box using an STC-1000 ($18-19 on Amazon) and simply plug your unit into that? Then you'll be able to ferment using whatever yeast you want at whatever temp you desire.

If you'd rather not do the basic wiring needed to do the STC-1000, get one of these Ranco controllers for $50- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015NV5BE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0015NV5BE&linkCode=as2&tag=hombrefin-20

Ive used wyeast German ale around 55-58 for an Alt and a Biere de Garde. Both attenuated where i wanted, but needed a diacetyl rest.

Back