Possible lambic yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobyMD

Reaction score
I just brewed an APA with WLP001 and used a blowoff tube. The blowoff tube was in a jug of water that was left open to the air. There is a good amount of yeast that made it into this vessel. Could I collect that yeast and use it for at least the primary fermentation in a Lambic? It has been open to the air for about 2 weeks. Has anyone ever done this before?

I haven't done it. There is such a variety of microorganisms, and most are not great for making beer. I would be afraid of ruining whatever I pitched it into. chances are over 99% is good yeast, but there are some beer spoilers that don't have to exist in very high concentrations to really mess up a beer.

I would harvest the yeast from the fermentor. The viability will be a function of the ABV level.

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/abv-effects-on-yeast.html

The cell density is dependent on the strain and the amount of protein. With most beers and WLP001 you'll probably have about 1 billion cells per milliliter liter.

Thanks for the info. Well I collected and washed the yeast. Got about 100mL of nice white fluffy yeast. The next beer I make I will split and put this in one of them and see what happens.

I would be worried about Acetobacter more than anything. Are you looking to make a lambic style? or just harvest yeast from your fermentation?

I want to actually try a Lambic. It would be my first lambic so I don't really know what I am doing yet. I have been looking into it for the last few weeks. I usually just throw this blowoff water and yeast away but if I could use it that would be awesome. Your thought about A-bactor is concerning. I dont want to mess with that.

if you want a Lambic then pitch something that is cultured for it. ie: WLP Sour Mix or the Wyeast Roselare blend or some ECY. Why mess with the unkown? You are going to have a lot of time invested in the beer, so why leave it up to chance?

For god's sake, drop $3.50 and buy a sachet of US-05! It's not worth the time and money on making a batch of wort just to pitch some random yeast in there

if you want a lambic then pitch something that is cultured for it. Ie: Wlp sour mix or the wyeast roselare blend or some ecy. Why mess with the unkown? You are going to have a lot of time invested in the beer, so why leave it up to chance?

+1

I think you guys are right. That is definitely the safer bet. I would hate to end up losing a batch to something that could have been easily prevented.

Back