brewery remodel complete NOW THE KITCHEN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OH CRAP I am going to do it. I have put it off for 7 years while I remodel every other room in the house including turning the garage into a brewery. I just bought the 30" slide in oven today ( found a KILLER deal) I am going to buy unfinished cabnets and do them myself to save some BIG $$$ (you know for brewing) any helpful tips from some DIY???I havent finished cabnets before but I am going to keep it fairly simple and not really change where anything is. I figure with working a full time shift and having 3 kids this should only take me oh about 5-6 months LOL
JJ

You can save some money buying low-end unfinished cabinets at Lowe's or Home Depot then give them a light sanding and staining and hanging them yourself, but I wouldn't say that you're saving BIG money. A lot of the cost in any H-I project is the labor that it would cost you to have someone else do it.

Obviously you're going to be doing it yourself, so you're going to be able to save the most money by purchasing lower-end cabinets from the big H-I stores as opposed to high dollar specialty cabinets.

Good luck with this! I've got to attack the kitchen in our house either this coming spring or the following year (depending on how many of the other half-completed projects I get done this winter).

When I did my kitchen, I built & finished everything ahead of time, cut the counter tops, fitted & plumbed the sink, everything! The weekend of the re-model, I stripped the kitchens to the studs, insulated, added power circuits, changed the pipes in the walls, put up new green board and primed. Day 2: moved all of the cabinets in, installed the counters, hooked up the sink & garbage disposal. Painted the next weekend.

This method prevents second thoughts during the remodel. I know people that have spent years with their kitchen torn apart.

Is your kitchen face frame or euro-style? If you are not really changing the layout at all, you might really want to consider a re-face. Building face frame is super easy with pocket holes, then you can take your measurements for the openings and order doors and drawer faces direct from the companies that crank them out for the big cabinet companies. You might even be able to work wonders by stripping and sanding your existing face frame and putting new drawers and doors in. This has the added bonus of being able to order all the new stuff by measuring what you have and not tearing anything out until you are ready to replace it.
Installing doors with the blum concealed hinges is a snap also.

If you want to upgrade the drawers and sliders, I really like the Blum blumotion or the Accuride Eclipse sliders with the soft close (I have a really cheap source for both as well as the hinges if you're interested.) The drawer boxes are fairly easy to build, but also not too expensive to buy ready to assemble.

Even if you go the full replacement route, I think you can find better pricing on ready to assemble cabinets shipped to your door. As with most things, beating HD is not too hard with some research.

We did use HD for the Silestone countertop due to a big sale, but then they subbed to a local counter shop, and I have to wonder what I could have gotten if I just went direct.
Oh, well. We "broke ground" on ours just over a year ago and I have about 2 more full weekends left. In my defense, I've only really spent about a few months actually working on it. We have made the project work around our lives and have ended up taking months at a time off. By working in stages, we have only been with out a fully functional kitchen for about 3 days.
However you go, good luck.
Jeremy

the_bird said:
Good luck with this! I've got to attack the kitchen in our house either this coming spring or the following year (depending on how many of the other half-completed projects I get done this winter).
OH ya Bird I have a bunch of those too. I think my next place is going to be a Condo no painting no yard maintance just BREW BREW BREW. It blowes when life gets in the way of all the real fun ****. I made some calls yesterday and I am going to stay away from the finnish yourself cabinets and buy some pre made just didnt make sence with all that I have to do by myself and I just didnt see a big enough savings.
OH this aught to be fun to do durring the winter.
JJ

Back