MD/DC grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full bags:

CM 2ROW
CM Pilsner

I'd like to split (but will take a whole bag if necessary):

Crystal 40 (or something similar)
Carapils

Also do you have any Dark & light Candi sugar to part out?

I also have 1/3 of a bag of rice hulls available, if anyone was interested.

Also, I have aaronbritton and ScottSingleton as splitting a bag of 60L 3 ways (just want to make sure that's still on).

I could also likely use some more Dark & Light Candi sugar...if additional incentive was needed to purchase more. Thinking 3-4 lbs of each.

I'd take some rice hulls if they're available, I tend to use them quite a bit. How big of a container would I need for 1/3 bag? What's the cost?

have plenty of carapils on hand (plus another bag ordered) for everyone, same with candi sugar. (got case of each for beligan season)

pbw bla bla
starsan bla bla
melanoiden as well

I'd take some rice hulls if they're available, I tend to use them quite a bit. How big of a container would I need for 1/3 bag? What's the cost?

I had just split 1/2 a bale of rice hulls out this past week. They're really compressed and take up LOTS of volume when you pull them out to weigh. I was using a 20 gallon fermenting barrel and had to fill it 2.5 times to get 25#.

The 25# then fit perfectly inside a large black heavy duty trash bag.

It's a bit of work to split it in half because of the volume and how tight the hulls are packaged into the bale.

@atjsparty I'm still in for both. If the rice hulls are a pain to split up and weigh like Scott said I'd be fine with just estimating my portion.

@rvklein Am I safe in assuming that we are going to scrap the order of carapils and just purchase it off of Stephin then?

I wasn't trying to discourage it, only trying to let you know what size containers you needed. The sheer bulk of the project is many more times that compared to grain splits.

No worries Scott. I'm guessing these rice hulls in bulk are going to be somewhat of a PITA. I'm just want to make this as easy as possible for everyone involved. I know this is a huge undertaking for Stephin so if I can make things easier then I'm all for it.

No worries Scott. I'm guessing these rice hulls in bulk are going to be somewhat of a PITA. I'm just want to make this as easy as possible for everyone involved. I know this is a huge undertaking for Stephin so if I can make things easier then I'm all for it.
its ok, you should have seen the siz of the bale of rice hulls!

Depends, does that "Go Blue" refer to UM? If so, sorry, they're already taken. :)

Just kidding, 1/3 of the bag is available. Per the 3/30 price guide a 50lb bag is $21.50, so $7.17 each (plus shipping). Go Green!!

aaronbritton, I'm on board with estimating as well...even if they aren't as bad at splitting. I know how much volume 1 and 2 lbs is, I can only guess how much (uncompressed) 50 lbs is gonna be.

That sounds fine to me for the rice hulls, and I'm not gonna be too particular about the specific weight. I'll probably just bring a contractor bag and toss 'em in there, for the time being.

And I don't even mind a little ribbing from a Lansing fan, although you'd better hope they've got a replacement for Cousins.

I am going to add some more malt because my eyes are bigger than my fermenters.

Please, add these two to the list.

CM‐MUNH
GW‐2ROW

these two plus the golden promise from earlier should be it. Thanks!

I'm not sure the next time I'll be over to Clap's house. I would say it's not available for now but I'll post if plans change.

Is there a new spreadsheet for this order? I'll probably be able to pick up either Saturday or Sunday. I could maybe assist for anyone that would like to pickup from Frederick, but very limited, as I have a small car, and 4 sacks to pickup myself. PM me and we'll see if something could be worked out.

i will be around all weekend... sadly.

That being said, weekday pickups are better (people make my GF cranky).

and anyone who wants to help unload on Friday... is greatly appreciated!

Back