Fuggles hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdupree

Reaction score
I just brewed a Fuggles IPA 5gal batch with 3oz of hops (60 min, 30 min, 5 min). They smell amazing! I can't wait to try this beer. Anybody have experience with fuggles hops? Should I dry hop in the secondary with them? I've never dry hopped before and I'm worried about an extreme bitter taste.

yea just drop them in secondary, if they are pellets you can put them in a hop bag. Dry hopping does not add bitter, it adds aroma oils. Btter components of hops are expressed during the boil.

Doesnt dry hopping only add aroma? I dont think the flavor added by dry hopping would be bitter. That flavor only comes from early additions during boil. If anything it will add some of that general, hoppy flavor, that we all know and love.

Sounds like you're making an English IPA: it's quite common to use 3 oz Fuggles for this recipe. Dry hopping doesn't add too much bittering, but can add some grassy aromas. How about just seeing how this batch turns out as a traditional EIPA, and then try another batch with dry hopping. That way you can see which YOU prefer.

Fuggles and Goldings are the two primary hops used in English IPAs.

The alpha acids will not isomerize at room temperature, so dry hopping adds no bitterness.

Back