Krausen Plugged my Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillin

Reaction score
I boiled my new batch of Scotch Ale on Thursday evening, and then left for the weekend. When I got home today after being away the whole weekend, I checked the beer and saw that the airlock was plugged up and no gases seemed to be escaping. The krausen was pretty violent apparently. I'm not sure how long the airlock had been plugged -- two days at most. Carefully, I removed the airlock, cleaned it off, and added new water. After putting it back on the top of the carboy, I left it alone for a while. After about an hour, the bubbles were at about 1-minute increments. It has been about 3 hours now and its the same situation. It looks like there is hardly any foam at all on top of the wort. So I am wondering if the airlock being plugged up for some time disturbed the fermenting process and if so, what implications that will have on the rest of the cycle. Have you any experience with this?

Your hard fermentation is probably over at this point and it has slowed down. It didn't hurt your fermentation process. You might be lucky that the airlock didn't blow out or your lid didn't blow off :) That could have disturbed your fermentation. You did what you needed to do though... should be smooth sailing :)

Yep, you're in good shape. Luckily your top didn't blow off completely or worse. You might want to get a blow off tube if you are going to be leaving your newly made beer alone.

Welcome to HBT!

You're lucky you didn't have to mop your ceiling. Sooner or later everyone mops their ceiling I think. Next time use a blow off tube. :mug:

You're lucky you didn't have to mop your ceiling. Sooner or later everyone mops their ceiling I think. Next time use a blow off tube. :mug:

+1 on the mopping the ceiling. I posted something similar about 4 months ago. My three piece airlock plugged and shot to the ceiling. Revvy has a picture or description of setting up a blow-off for a three piece airlock. Search for it, you should find it.

Back