Grolsch swingtop bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great for it. the only knock on them is the green bottle factor, but just keep em out of sunlight and fluorescent lights and you'll be fine.

Inspect the gaskets on the caps and replace as required. I get 4-5 uses on the gaskets between replacements. YMMV

If you're using actual Grolsch bottles, I'd replace the gaskets. The ones from Grolsch are as good as the ones I've picked up at LHBS.

I've got three cases of these and love them.

I've got three cases of these and love them.

+1 on the EZ Cap bottles. Man those things rock. Well worth the investment.

I use OneStep as a sanitizer and you do have to be careful when sanitizing the swings and caps (the metal parts will oxidize and weaken over time) but I devised a good method. I take a shallow glass pie dish, arrange the swing cap mechanisms around the rim so that ONLY the caps and gaskets are sitting flat on the bottom, the rest of the swing hangs off the outside. Then I fill the dish slowly with sanitizer until the level comes to just above the gaskets before any of the metal.

I just picked up 50 of them on Craig's List for $4 (I love Craig's List). They are a LOT faster and easier to bottle with than capped bottles. The only thing I've found with swing top bottles is that the gasket should be removed when the bottles are cleaned. Otherwise there are lots of crevices for non beer friendly stuff to accumulate.

A nice thing about Grolsch bottles is that they use stainless steel for the bails instead of galvanized.

Tom

I'm using them and I love them. Easier to bottle, hold more than a regular bottle and they add a little presentation when they pop.

the only downside is, you have to drink what's in them first....

Ooh, and if you can keep them out of the sun, green is fine.

I was able to purchase 15 or so Grolsch style bottles off of craigslist. The great thing was they were brown glass and not green. They were from some German beer company from what the guy I bought them from told me. I love them and wish I had more.

Back