Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.045 is right around where it should be. Any idea what your FG was?

3% with an OG of 1.045 would make your FG 1.022 which would make it a really sweet beer.

It is one of the sweeter beers Ive made, I love the taste, the fg was 1.09 I believe. I split the batches into two seperate fermentors, One finished earlier than the other.

I bottled one batch, kegged the other, but every time I pour from keg it was very cloudy, I racked from keg to a clearing vessel last night it was clear ontop, but lots of yeast in the bottom. I might add some orangepeel and coriander to it tonight and re-keg in a day or 2.

yewtah-brewha said:
It is one of the sweeter beers Ive made, I love the taste, the fg was 1.09 I believe.

DAMN, Sam! I bet it was!

:D

Edit: I think you forgot a zero. Most strong brews don't start as high as 1.090; besides, 1.009 for an FG is completely normal for this beer. I know; it's a typo -it was kinda funny that you said it was sweet. The sweetness will diminish with some cellaring. Give it a month and try it again if you can stand to wait.

It is one of the sweeter beers Ive made, I love the taste, the fg was 1.09 I believe. I split the batches into two seperate fermentors, One finished earlier than the other.

I bottled one batch, kegged the other, but every time I pour from keg it was very cloudy, I racked from keg to a clearing vessel last night it was clear ontop, but lots of yeast in the bottom. I might add some orangepeel and coriander to it tonight and re-keg in a day or 2.

1.009 is plenty dry and would put your ABV at 4.7, which is right on for the style.

I used US-05 and it finished at 1.012, but I don't think it's sweet at all. Although I started a bit high at 1.056.

I'm going to try this one this weekend with cornmeal and long grain rice, S05. I'm going to cereal it and then mash with 2 row. Let you know in a few weeks. I'm hoping to get this on tap prior to xmas.

Just brewed a 10 gallon BIAB batch of this today, unfortunately I had some problems along the way. First while grinding the grain, the mill decides to flip and dump about a cup of grain on the floor. Second problem, a 15 gallon kettle is not big enough for a 10 gallon batch. And finally; my mash temps were all over the place, from as low as 142 to high as 168. My pre-boil and post-boil OG were the same, 1.045. I'm hoping that there will be no effect, but it looks like from other threads this beer maybe getting dumped. I'll just have to wait and see how it comes out.

I'm going to try this one this weekend with cornmeal and long grain rice, S05. I'm going to cereal it and then mash with 2 row. Let you know in a few weeks. I'm hoping to get this on tap prior to xmas.

I did 1 5 gallon batch with grits and 1 5 gallon batch with corn maze. Had 3 people try it and results were:
1 for the grits
2 for the corn maze

Opened my first bottle today after two weeks in primary and a week in the bottle. Carbed up nicely and it's darned tasty. Got a little raw corn flavor, but I expect that to fade a bit with some more bottle conditioning.

1483227_10200222570887408_2091561281_n.jpg

nice pic drksky . made me want a beer . That corn taste will fade in about 3 more weeks . It never goes away but blends in nicely . I think in the winter it would be better to use less corn as sitting around drinking is just not the same as drinking on a hot summer day on the patio or after mowing the lawn . You will notice the corn taste more when your not hot & thirsty .
glad you are enjoying your beer

odie313 said:
Just brewed a 10 gallon BIAB ...
dump about a cup of grain on the floor....

a 15 gallon kettle is not big enough for a 10 gallon batch.....

my mash temps were all over the place, from as low as 142 to high as 168.

My pre-boil and post-boil OG were the same,1.045.

... I'm hoping that there will be no effect, .

I think I got coffee up my nose!

I seriously think it will be a fine beer as long as you watch your fermentation temps and you pitched a good starter for that 10 gallons, but not true to recipe for sure.
10 gal BIAB is a pretty big batch sorry to hear about the troubled brew day.

If the Pre-boil gravity and OG were the same, I'm gonna say you had trouble with the boil(?); if so, this sucker is going to be a DMS bomb. Cream of Creamed Corn!

EDIT; I just re-read and see the comment about kettle size. I'm guessing you were not able to boil aggressively. Wait it out but, I think you'll find you have too much creamed corn/cooked veg aroma in the finished product. If you keg you may be able to scrub it (DMS) out but you'll have to wait it out and see what it winds up like then decide if you want to go through the hassle.

I started the ferment at 64F for the first 12 hours then raised it to 68f. Its been fermenting away for the past four days. How exactly would I scrub the DMS out of the beer, if it does appear in the final product.

I understand that DMS comes out in the boil. I was wondering how can it be taken out if I keg, like Brewski mentions in the post above.

odie313 said:
I understand that DMS comes out in the boil. I was wondering how can it be taken out if I keg, like Brewski mentions in the post above.

DMS is volatile in beer and can be scrubbed out of by bubbling co2 through it in much the same way SMM is flashed in the kettle boil.

The way I would do it would be a sintered carbonating stone on the end of the pick up tube. Drop the keg pressure to zero, pressurize it through the stone and the blow it off, and repeat.

I don't keg so I have not done this myself but I know it can be done and I've seen it work in a pico brewery using large pressurized storage tanks.

I have heard Jamil Z and Tasty talk about it as well so I'm sure someone has a thread about it somwhere.

You can find out more about DMS/SMM here;
http://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/tag/smm/

Just put this on gas last night. I note a little corn aroma, but not bad. Cold crashed in garage before kegging and it was clear as a bell. I used 1oz Halleratu at 60 and 1 oz at 5 mins to go. Tastes like flat Bud at this point. Mine's about 3.5%. Overall really happy for my first cereal mash - next time probably just go with flaked corn and rice. 2 weeks in primary was plenty of time.

I'm going to do a small batch of this soon as my first brew ever. I've seen quite a few comments regarding the use of gelatin to clear up the beer when kegging. I will be bottling the small batch. Is there any similar technique for clearing up a "murky" brew when bottling?

I'm considering cold crashing the 1 gallon jugs but I don't have a beer fridge and I'm afraid to use the regular food fridge for bacteria. - Is this concern warranted or can I cold cash in the food fridge?

If you keep the airlock on it when it goes in the fridge, there is no risk of infection. Why the consideration for cold crashing?? After fermentation is complete, rack it to a bottling bucket, add the sugar and bottle. After a few weeks at room temp, you should have complete carbonation. Then if you keep it in the fridge, its cold crashed there :) this give you the option of keeping it at room temp as long as you want too, with sufficient yeast to work on the beer if anything needs to be cleaned up

Has anyone tried brewing this recipe using White Labs San Fransico Lager yeast and fermenting in the 55-60 F range? My father in law is wanting me to try to make a more flavorful BMC style beer and has liked this recipe in the past but recently asked if there is any way to make it crisper.

Has anyone tried brewing this recipe using White Labs San Fransico Lager yeast and fermenting in the 55-60 F range? My father in law is wanting me to try to make a more flavorful BMC style beer and has liked this recipe in the past but recently asked if there is any way to make it crisper.

Could try more carbonation. Sometimes that can be what BMC people are looking for. I drank american light lager once and it tastes a lot like club soda mixed with beer

I have always used the WLP080 and it seems nice and crisp with that if you keep it on the low side during fermentation. Try to hold it at 65°. That along with 2.7 vols of carbonation should make it nice and crisp. If you are bottle conditioning, once you get the beer carbonated, cold condition this for a good long while. Let everything settle out before you serve.

I have always used the WLP080 and it seems nice and crisp with that if you keep it on the low side during fermentation. Try to hold it at 65°. That along with 2.7 vols of carbonation should make it nice and crisp. If you are bottle conditioning, once you get the beer carbonated, cold condition this for a good long while. Let everything settle out before you serve.

I am planning on kegging this beer and cold conditioning it until opening day of the baseball season. I am going to brew 15 gallons and split into 3 batches using WL California I (WL001), WL American Ale (WLP060) and this WL San Francisco lager (WL2112) yeast.

Could try more carbonation. Sometimes that can be what BMC people are looking for. I drank american light lager once and it tastes a lot like club soda mixed with beer

This!

I was given a few Miller Lites in exchange for clearing a neighbor's driveway. I'd never had it before, so I figured I'd give it a fair shake.

Yellow carbonated water was my overall impression. Sure you can drink a ton of it, but what's the point?

I don't get why there's a difference between american and Canadian lagers/light lagers but there is. Canadian lagers if the exact same brand has a bit higher alcohol and a bit more flavor. And to stay on topic I am going to try this soon.

Brewed a variation of this recipe on 11/27. 7 lbs 2-Row, 2 lbs of Flaked Maize, and 1 lb of Flaked Rice. 1 oz of Cascade for bittering and WLP0800 (Cream Ale Blend). Been in the keg for two weeks now and I'm just now getting into it. Delicious and a crowd pleaser. This keg won't last long at our New Year's Eve Party. This is a style that everyone should try.

I brewed CO3C a few weeks ago in a 3 gallon BIAB batch. I brew a fair amount of cream ale with so many friends and fam who like 'club soda mixed with beer'. The recipe called for williamette and crystal, but I had some perle and northern brewer to use up in slightly higher quantity than recipe. My son and I bottled yesterday and agreed that the beer wimps would love it. We will know in 2 weeks.

Brewed a variation of this recipe on 11/27. 7 lbs 2-Row, 2 lbs of Flaked Maize, and 1 lb of Flaked Rice. 1 oz of Cascade for bittering and WLP0800 (Cream Ale Blend). Been in the keg for two weeks now and I'm just now getting into it. Delicious and a crowd pleaser. This keg won't last long at our New Year's Eve Party. This is a style that everyone should try.

Do you recall what temperature you fermented this at and for how long?

1.5L starter. -whoa that's a ton for a 1.040 OG brew. Don't see a problem with it but it's easily 3x what I would have pitched assuming fresh yeast vial or dry packet used.

Edit; 5-6 gal batch?... I should have asked. (Sorry)

1.5L starter. -whoa that's a ton for a 1.040 OG brew. Don't see a problem with it but it's easily 3x what I would have pitched assuming fresh yeast vial or dry packet used.

Edit; 5-6 gal batch?... I should have asked. (Sorry)

Yep 5-gallon batch. 1.5 L might seem like a lot but my experience is that it's best to pitch a good volume of healthy active yeast rather than just pitching a vial. I don't like to mess around when it comes to fermentation. :)

I agree with you there. Never not use a starter. Just not worth the risk. I usually rely on BS to calc starters for me but I'm almost always doing beers in the mid to upper 1.060's and I'm always right around 1 liter. (Lagers not withstanding)

Something I was looking at. It looks like beersmith default is 750,000 cells x ml x degree plato. Have you changed that to 1,000,000 cells? That's what I understand it's supposed to be.

Had not heard that. I hAve never changed the stock value but I also have the latest version. I'll have to look into that. Where did the 750k vs. 1MM come from?

Wyeast and White Labs recommend 1,000,000 yeast cells per ML per degree Plato. Also a lot of breweries follow the same theory from what I have heard to. I have only seen a couple recipes from regional breweries and they had 1,000,000 yeast cells on there to. I had to change it in the newest Beersmith from 750,000 yeasy cells to 1,000,000 yeast cells. So in a 14 Plato beer (1.057 SG) that difference would be about 60 billion yeast cells. Which is roughly a liter more in a starter on a 1 month old yeast package. You can find it on "Options" to see what your value is.

thisisbeer said:
Wyeast and White Labs recommend 1,000,000 yeast cells per ML per degree Plato. Also a lot of breweries follow the same theory from what I have heard to. I have only seen a couple recipes from regional breweries and they had 1,000,000 yeast cells on there to. I had to change it in the newest Beersmith from 750,000 yeasy cells to 1,000,000 yeast cells. So in a 14 Plato beer (1.057 SG) that difference would be about 60 billion yeast cells. Which is roughly a liter more in a starter on a 1 month old yeast package. You can find it on "Options" to see what your value is.

Cool. Thanks for this info.

I'm really not trying to argue because I just now heard about this... But; Mr. Malty's web site says this;

"The general consensus on pitching rates is that you want to pitch around 1 million cells of viable yeast, for every milliliter of wort, for every degree plato... "

...just like you said. Then, he goes on to say this...

"...A little less for an ale, a little more for a lager. George Fix states about 1.5 million for a lager and 0.75 million for an ale in his book, An Analysis of Brewing Techniques. Other literature cites a slightly higher amount. I'm going with Fix's numbers and that is what the pitching calculator uses."

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

This would indicate that BS is using the same 750K cell/ml/deg Plato that Mr. Malty uses for ales. It appears to say 1MM cells in general at first but if you read further it indicated a difference when broken out to lagers and ales.

You are right. It also states the same thing in the book Yeast. But I have found that million yeast cells that the wyeast and white Labs recommend to work out better. I always hit the final gravity I want and have quick strong fermentations. I used the 750,000 up until a couple months ago. I like the improvement that is made. It hasn't been dramatic by any means though. I use to have a problem occasionally of beer finishing 2 or 3 points high. That hasn't happened again. I wouldn't worry to much on a beer like this one. But a 1.060+ beer I would highly recommend going with 1,000,000 yeast cells. Im not an expert on the subject so dontake that with a grain of salt.

Seems to me that one packet of dry yeast 11.5 grams is going to make about 2.5 to 5 million cells per liter if you believe the cell count by the manufacturer.
I consistently get a FG of 1.011 with SG of around 1.053 to 1.060 using 1 packet yeast in usually 6 gallons . Notty or US-05 . My hydrometer does read off by about .001 so my FG might actually be 1.010 . But still too high . So I am inclined to think they are really over stating their cell counts .
I think I am going to go with 2 packs next time around . A bit pricey . Anyone see any problem in using 22 grams in a 6 g batch ? Would it change the flavor much ?

i might add in that no I do not get 1.060 in my cream of three crops

I made a 5.5 gallon batch of this tonight, using 6 lbs 2 row, 2 lbs corn, 1/2 lb rice and 1/2 lb Carapils. Brew went well and I put it on Instagram. If you want to see it, follow me at Johnpcook1. Somehow, my boil off rate was really high, I think due to the Very Cold and dry air outside. I had to add 3/4 gallon of boiled water back in to get the gravity down. This beer is for my nieces 21st bday in February. Shes pretty excited about it!! The sample tastes impressive!!

Latest posts

Back