Question from a soon to be first time winemaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twah

Reaction score
Hi

I've been brewing for years but I've never have made wine but I'm gathering up any other equipment that I need for that.

I have a question about the water. I know in brewing, have to boil the water but everything I've read about wine making, all you have to do is collect the water in your bucket and add the yeast and you're off. It seems like that'll be bad since in brewing, that'll lead to bacteria and off flavors, etc. Will that be the case for wine? thanks

And

If your water is good for beer, it will be good for wine. If it's not, and you have bacteria in things in it, then it's not good for wine either.

Most people who have water in their homes have drinkable water, but if for some reason you do not, you could boil it or purchase drinking water.

I do not boil my brewing water, my top off water, or my water for winemaking. Our tap water is good, and reliable, and safe.

The water isn't the reason you boil for beer; it's because the grain is full of souring bacteria.

So as long as your water is drinkable out of the tap, you're good to go. It doesn't need to be sterile, just clean. The yeast you pitch will take over quickly and make it inhospitable for anything else to grow.

Wine also has lots more alcohol than beer. Alcohol is a good bacteria killer.
Wine also starts out very concentrated with sugar, and sugar has anti-bacterial properties.

Thanks guys for that. My water is fine so I guess I'm good to go. I purchased a kit today and two buckets so I can venture into winemaking. Thanks!

Back