Need Help - I missed a step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I am brewing an extract dark mild. The instructions say to steep the specialty grain at 150 - 170 for 30 min. Then bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, remove from the heat, add the LME then boil again.

Somehow I missed the first boil. After steeping for 30 min, I added the LME and then started the boil. Am I in trouble? :( What is the first boil for?

Your beer will be fine. The first boil isn't really necessary.

I'm not sure why that is in the instruction other than sometimes people add extract as late as possible so it doesn't turn the beer darker.

The removal from heat helps prevent scorching the LME on the bottom of the pot and also helps prevent a boilover.

LME does dissolve better in hotter water so that would be my guess as to why boil before adding it but as long as you stirred it in well so it didn't sink to the bottom where it will scorch you are fine.

LME does dissolve better in hotter water so that would be my guess as to why boil before adding it but as long as you stirred it in well so it didn't sink to the bottom where it will scorch you are fine.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Latest posts

Back