$7.99 for DFH 120min IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
I've had 60min IPA, great hop flavor, easy to drink, all around great IPA. Tonight I'm drinking 90min IPA for the first time. Took me a min to get past the 9% ABV, but over all great IPA, even through the alcohol content, hop character is still evident. I have not tried 120min IPA, but the local liquor store now has it in stock, but it is $7.99/12oz Bottle. They only sell it by the bottle. Not trying to be a cheap skate, Ill spend what ever for good beer, but that sounds like a rip off to me. So, my question is, is it worth it? I want to try it, but that sounds kind of steep, for only 1 bottle, thats like $48.00 a six pack. Sounds kind of fishy to me.

Yeah,that is too much for my blood. There are many great beers that I would spend the money on first.

It is 20% abv so it is probably a good thing it isn' t like 7 bucks for a six pack or there would be a lot of incredibly drunk unsuspecting people. Most people I know don' t check the alcohol content on their beer (or know that different beers have different alcohol contents). It is tasty though.

mikeyc said:
Not trying to be a cheap skate, Ill spend what ever for good beer, but that sounds like a rip off to me. So, my question is, is it worth it?

"Worth" is totally subjective. What value do you place on trying it?

That's a decent price on it, especially if you like it. Personally I love the 90 minute, really like the 60 minute, and don't really like the 120. Its just too boozy and cloying for me. Its worth the try though...

Have you ever looked into what it takes to brew a 21% ABV beer, at least from a homebrewer's perspective? It's got to be pretty hard to do commercially as well. Knowing the kind of insane effort it takes to make, I'm not at all surprised that they charge what they do for it.

Do I really enjoy drinking it? No, "boozy and cloying" was right on - but I think that's inevitable in a 21% beer, so I don't fault DFH. But do I think it was worth buying a bottle? Definitely - it's one of the most extreme beers you can buy commercially, making it well worth it IMO just to say I've tried it.

Yep, its on the expensive side. i would say to just buy 1 bottle and see what you think. I tried it about a year ago and liked it.

According to the bottle, it says it 'ages well'. Has anyone tried one that has been aged for 1, 5, 10 years? If so, did you notice a significant change?

robnog said:
According to the bottle, it says it 'ages well'. Has anyone tried one that has been aged for 1, 5, 10 years? If so, did you notice a significant change?

It ain't that old. It's only been around a few years.

I had a chance to enjoy some on tap with Sam the man himself this past summer.
Yeah, it's worth it to have a bottle lying around in the cellar.
Just be very careful with it.

Age it at least a year. I did not like the 120 min at first, but sitting on it for a year made a huge difference. I have 2 more bottles that have been sitting for two years, will open them in three more.

Just clone it with this easy to follow recipe

Ingredients
1 oz fresh hops
1 bottle cheap Russian vodka

Open package of hops
Lean head back
Stuff hops in mouth
Pour vodka in mouth until full
Swish for 30 seconds then swallow
Repeat as needed

chione said:
Just clone it with this easy to follow recipe

Ingredients
1 oz fresh hops
1 bottle cheap Russian vodka

Open package of hops
Lean head back
Stuff hops in mouth
Pour vodka in mouth until full
Swish for 30 seconds then swallow
Repeat as needed

That made me laugh. I think Ill buy two bottles, one to try, and one to age.

20 % abv? So next to Utopias, this is the second most powerful naturally fermented beer in human history?

I'd be tempted to lay a bottle or two down, maybe with some rochfort 10 or something. Is the DFH carbonated? I know utopias is more like a cordial.

mike

MLynchLtd said:
Is the DFH carbonated?
Yes.

I just had a bottle of it last night. The first time I tried it it went down harsh. Last night it was decent - but I wouldn't be surprised if the bottle I bought had been on the store shelf for a year or so already, it doesn't sell quickly here. But really, all I picked up on was sweetness and alcohol - they balanced each other out relatively well, but there wasn't much else there. Despite the claims of how crazy they go with hops in the 120min, I hardly picked up any hop character whatsoever. Guess it's hard for the hops to compete with that much alcohol.

Hmmm, well my take on it is...if you have never tried it and want to I'd say go for it. Oh but one thing...if you had a rough time getting over the 9%, chances are that one will probably not be so kind to you. Plus have a buddy to share it with.

Hell Brew said:
It is 20% abv so it is probably a good thing it isn' t like 7 bucks for a six pack or there would be a lot of incredibly drunk unsuspecting people. Most people I know don' t check the alcohol content on their beer (or know that different beers have different alcohol contents). It is tasty though.

It tasted like complete dog****! I am assuming your referring to the Imperial IPA by dogfish head. 20% ABV
I dont know if mine was a batch that went bad, but I passed it around the room and let 4 others try it before dumping it down the drain. It had a sour taste. (I am not being a woosy either, I have had their raisin d Extra that was strong like this(I think that was the name, the Higher ABV raisin beer))

I like all of their other IPA styles also.

Back