Yeast is Dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I brewed Sunday, and there has been no activity in the air lock, and there is nothing on the top of the wort. It was a kit that was purchased from NB, but the shipment was left out on the porch in 90°+ heat for a couple of hours. NB said the yeast may have gotten too hot. I'm going by LHBS on the way home to replace the yeast. My question is, other than sanitizing the scissors and yeast pack, are there any other precautions I should take before I re-pitch the yeast?

I brewed Sunday, and there has been no activity in the air lock, and there is nothing on the top of the wort. It was a kit that was purchased from NB, but the shipment was left out on the porch in 90°+ heat for a couple of hours. NB said the yeast may have gotten too hot. I'm going by LHBS on the way home to replace the yeast. My question is, other than sanitizing the scissors and yeast pack, are there any other precautions I should take before I re-pitch the yeast?

What's the gravity and I assume a 5 gallon batch?

1.05, and yes it's a 5 gal batch

I'd pitch two vials. One because I think one vial is only good enough for a 1.035 beer and second since if anything other than yeast is starting to multiply, more yeast will help overpower bacteria starting to grow.

I would take a gravity sample before doing anything.

+1 to This
You might be surprised, in addition, at what temperature did you pitch and how well did you aerate the wort? Aeration is paramount during the initial phase of fermentation.

If you do need to re-pitch and are using liquid yeast then you need to get in the habit of making starters for your beer, it's easy to do and the best thing you can do to improve your product:)

Back