Raspberry recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatmanTom

Reaction score
I threw together a brew hoping for something sweet not too potent.

4 gal of apple cider, pasteurized with only asorbic acid(vit c) added.
2 lbs white sugar
4 packs of frozen raspberries(12oz per bag)
4 tsp of yeast nutrient
3.2 tsp of acid blend
.3 tsp of pectic enzyme
6 grams of cote des blancs yeast

To pasteurize the frozen raspberries:
Let thaw overnight, next morning pour into sauce pan and heat to 160 F. Keep at 160 for 15 minutes. Let cool. Add pectic enzyme after berries cool down below 100F. P.E. needs 1 hour to work. It works by breaking down the pectic that holds the fruit together. Thus adding more flavor to your mix.

I then added it all together in a white food grade 5 gallon bucket. Took my gravity reading then pitched the yeast. SG was 1.070, alcohol approx. is 9.5%. I took only 12 hours to start bubbling, after 24 hrs, it's going to town. I'll keep you posted.

Tom

If you want sweet, you'll have to back-sweeten. I suspect the batch will ferment down to 0.995 or less.

I just looked on wyeast's website and didn't see that one. (wyeast4677) Does this one have a common name?

I believe it should be Wyeast 4766, and it looks like this:

wyeastwine_9.jpg

Thanks for all the responses. I was left under the impression that champagne yeast would produce a very dry product, that is why I used cotes des blancs. I will back sweeten with 12 ounces of concentrated apple juice and unfermentable sugar. I'm not certain of the amount, I'll just go by taste.

Thanks,
Tom

I just got done taking a gravity reading and I got 1.000. It's only been 3 days fermenting and the bubbles are 1 every 30 seconds. Would you rack it yet to secondary or wait for 7 days?

Tom

I just looked up the characteristics of the Wyeast 4766, and Midwest says it ferments dry. I assume it must be dry in the overall comparison of yeasts, but is it sweeter than the cote des blancs or red star montrachet?

Also, Boatman, how did you add the raspberries? I'm guessing you put them in a bag of mesh, or cheese cloth, but how long did you leave in the fermentor.

I read alot of recipes that say approx. 1 lb of sugar per gallon. Yours is a lot less. Is that because the fresh fruit supplies the sugar or because you want a lower ABV?

Back