First Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast on October 22nd waited for fermentation to start (Oct. 23rd)..then moved to 50 degrees. I started d-rest on November 18th (12 days later). It still hasn't hit FG. The OG is suppose to be 1.045 and mine was 1.050. It's been fermenting now for about 5 weeks. I hear a bubble still every 17 seconds and my Graviting is at 1.013. It is common for Lagers to take a long time?

It's suppose to be 1.008. Although since my OG was slightly higher, I'm thinking my FG will be off slightly. Should I wait another week or 2 before I move it to secondary and lagering? I checked FG last week it may have gone down 1.014. Also, I've been at d-rest for about 2.5 weeks waiting for FG.

I'm confused. You pitched your yeast on 10/22, then did d-rest on 11/18? Or 12 days later which would be either 11/3 or 11/4. If you did your d-rest after 12 days in primary, it was too soon. If you did it on 11/18, you should have reached your FG by then.

I guess my second question would be how much yeast did you pitch? If you didn't pitch enough yeast, then it's possible that it took a little while for the yeast to replicate and it's going to take longer than usual.

You should wait until the beer is close to your FG before doing the d-rest. Typically three to four weeks would be enough time. However, you should go by your hydrometer readings.

Your FG may be a little higher because of your higher start. But you should probably let it go at least another week before lagering. Take a sample then and see if you have any diacetyl. If it's the same gravity or it has dropped a bit lower, then you could go ahead with lagering.

I'm confused. You pitched your yeast on 10/22, then did d-rest on 11/18? Or 12 days later which would be either 11/3 or 11/4. If you did your d-rest after 12 days in primary, it was too soon. If you did it on 11/18, you should have reached your FG by then.

I guess my second question would be how much yeast did you pitch? If you didn't pitch enough yeast, then it's possible that it took a little while for the yeast to replicate and it's going to take longer than usual.

You should wait until the beer is close to your FG before doing the d-rest. Typically three to four weeks would be enough time. However, you should go by your hydrometer readings.

Your FG may be a little higher because of your higher start. But you should probably let it go at least another week before lagering. Take a sample then and see if you have any diacetyl. If it's the same gravity or it has dropped a bit lower, then you could go ahead with lagering.

Thanks for the response! I followed the instructions from the kit, but now that I have done more research. I beleive I did do the d-rest way too soon. I started d-rest on November 3rd. Next time I will go by my hydrometer readings.

I pitched one Wyest American Lager package. When I purchased the kit it didn't say anything about pitching more yeast or making a starter. I understand now tht Lagers sometimes require more yeast or a starter.

I took a sip and there is no sign of diacetyl. I will take another reading next Friday and go from there. Thanks again!

I'm sure your beer will turn out fine. It's your first brew? Congrats!!

You should have a good amount of yeast from the wyeast package. As you brew more, you'll want to look into doing starters for lagers and any beer that weighs in over 1.060 OG.

Glad you don't have any diacetyl. Let it go another couple days to see if your gravity is stable. If so, transfer to secondary and start lagering!

Back