Pressure Testing New Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyles609

Reaction score
I got a few new ball lock kegs and wasn't going to change the gaskets since this keg was in use when I bought it. I filled it up with water and put 10 PSI on it. I don't hear anything and a soapy water test on all surfaces doesn't show anything. My question is after sitting for an hour I hit the pressure relief valve and no pressure comes out;

Is the water absorbing co2 in that amount of time and equalizing pressure, or do I have a leak that I cant find for the life of me?

Thanks, trying to Keg this afternoon

:confused:

I did the same thing...figured the water would take up space so I wouldn't waste all my CO2. It lasted a few hours, but I thought I had a leak as well....didn't consider the absorption issue until I read it on here. It seems like alot of space to fill if you only have a little 10# bottle, but maybe it won't waste that much gas.

I pour water in my keg for high pressure tests (testing seals at 30PSI) I assume if I cant hear/see anything at 30psi, it'll sit fine at 12ish psi for a while.

If you want a time test though, you need to get rid of the water so the CO2 wont be absorbed.

I use regular air hose Quick-Disconnect couplings on my co2 tank. That way I can change the hose function quickly. 1 to connect to keg disconnect, 1 with an air chuck to carbonate 2-liter bottles fitted with a tire-valve-in-cap and 1 with an air-horn thingy that I use to purge bottles with and for pushing beer out of carboys and into kegs. Then I can also use the air compressor when appropriate.

DSC00532.jpg

Back