First AG-BIAB-SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAVET

Reaction score
I am midway through the mash on my first all grain. It just so happens it is a BIAB as well and a SMaSH.
I am using 12 Lbs Vienna Malt. Missed mash temp by 2F and hit 152F I have 5 Oz of German Saphir in waiting. I opened the hops and was smacked in the face by a lemon lime smell. IT SMELLED AWESOME!! A lot like warm sprite. I can not wait to see how this turns out

Might sound weird but smelling the steam coming off the boil smells very citrus-lemon kind of a smell. Almost at the 20 min. addition. So far so good.

Very good brew day. The Saphir was a very odiferous hop. It'll be interesting to see how it works with the Vienna malt after fermentation.

I didn't sparge! I left the bag in the mash, pulled it out and let it drain while I brought the wort back up to a boil. No chill? Maybe next time.

UPDATE:
I kegged it tonight and thought I would make a couple observations. It smells typically German. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but that is what comes to mind. After that smell subsided, I was quite blown away by the lemon-lime-citrus smell. SWMBO says tangerine but I don't smell it.
Can't wait to taste it, too bad the kegerator won't be here till Tuesday.

Sounds tasty. I've got a Vienna/Northern Brewer smash in my party pig keg right now. Had a taste of a Vienna / Centennial smash that was reeallly good a couple weeks ago too. Maybe the slight sweetness of Vienna matches well with citrusy hops.

It has been under pressure for 4 days and I thought I would update the thread. Again it smells typically German. Not sure how else to describe it. The citrus/lemon-lime smell has mellowed quite a bit and it is less in your face than before. A very nice beer and will be brewing it again in the future.

I used 1056. I wanted a yeast that wouldn't get in the way of the hops and malt.
Not much point in a SMaSH if all you taste is yeast by-product. :D

Back