First meads in progress question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfp03001

Reaction score
At the end of August I made mead for the first time. I have never even had mead before. But for some reason it seemed like a good idea, i'll find out if I was right or not when I finally try them. I do have some brewing experience with beer and hard cider.

I wanted to try and get a wide variety of meads to try. So I made 6 half gallon batches. Using two different types of honey (a local wild flower one, and some orange blossom I bought online.) For some batches I used all of one kind of honey and for others I used mixtures. I also used 3 different kinds of yeast: Lalvin EC-1118 wine yeast, some kind of old Muntos beer yeast i had, and Red Star bread yeast. Also to two of them I also added some orange juice and zest. I documented all the mixtures of course.

So last week I racked them off the yeast into secondary fermenters. (The plan that I came up with from reading various sources was to leave them about 3 month in the primary and 3 in the secondary, then let age in wine bottles for about 6 months). Anyway when I racked them I took their gravities, and was very surprised to find that they were all about the same (between .995 and .997). (the OG were between 1.077 and 1.105). I would have thought that the wine yeast would have produced a much dryer mead with a lower final gravity than the bread yeast.

I was just curious if anyone knew why they all came out about the same and knew if I do make more mead again in the future if I should manually stop fermentation to end with a higher FG or if there are other yeast I should try for that purpose.

Opps I see I put this into the recipe section instead of the general forum. Wish I knew how to move it.

Okay, so now that your post is in the right forum, tell us more about your specific recipes. If they started at different gravities but ended around the same FG, then we've learned something, right? Such as it's unlikely that you achieved the maximum ABV for any of the yeasts you used, and they're all gonna be pretty dry.

If you took hydro readings, you must've had some samples to taste, right? What did they taste like? Were you able to correlate flavor to the bread yeast vs. the wine yeast vs. the beer yeast?

Back