Pom mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStef

Reaction score
Anyone have a good pom mead recipe? I love pomegranates...sweet and tart in perfect harmony. I have seen some recipes here but none of the authors "rave" about the results.

I am thinking about just using "Pom" juice, which I can get at our local grocery store...nothing but juice. I have a traditional mead in secondary for around 6 months and may just siphon off to a gallon jug with some "Pom" juice to see what happens.

Any "really good" recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

BrewStef

I think adding your juice to secondary will give you more of the flavor you are looking for. I tried fermenting some POM mixed 50/50 with apple. The only thing left from the POM that I could taste was the acidic tartness. Not nescessarily a bad thing but by itself not enjoyable.

I like your idea of taking your mead in secondary, thieving a sample, and mixing it with some juice until you get the flavor you desire. Then back caculate how much you need for the whole batch. Good luck, you will have to let us know how it turns out. I have a semisweet (1.018) in secondary that I added strawberrie/kiwi juice to. So far it tastes great.

Missing

My pom melomel is about 4 months old now. I used a basic medium sweet mead recipe (I am shooting for a FG of 1.018-1.20, maybe a bit higher depending on what my future wife thinks), and simply replaced a gallon or two of water with pomegranate juice (100% pom juice, no preservatives).

I don't have my notes near me right now, but I did add more honey after the first 1.5 months, and just last night I added another 2 qts of pomegranate juice. It has a semi-noticable pomegranate flavor, but the honey is rather subdued. I will probably be adding more honey in the next few months and seeing how that turns out. Right now though, it is still pretty green, so it is difficult to decide what it needs. I believe it is around 16%ABV right now with an SG of 1.016.

opqdan said:
but I did add more honey after the first 1.5 months, and just last night I added another 2 qts of pomegranate juice. It has a semi-noticable pomegranate flavor, but the honey is rather subdued. I will probably be adding more honey in the next few months and seeing how that turns out. Right now though, it is still pretty green, so it is difficult to decide what it needs. I believe it is around 16%ABV right now with an SG of 1.016.

How are you adding the honey? Do you add it directly and stir gently, or do you mix it with a bit of water?

Please do let us know how it turns out.

Thanks to you and missing...

Stefan

Back