Pro brewers, Mash/tun as boil kettle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
I was watching krotchrott and they mention that alot of breweries use the mash/ton as the brew kettle, I don't follow how they would do this, Do they drain the wort then pull out the grain and put the wort back in?

Acuallly they use a lauter tun, which is where they sparge. So they mash in one kettle transfer over to the lauter tun, and the runnings are brought back to the kettle. This way they only need to have one heat source.

That's a new one. I've visited 4-barrel breweries and Widmer and breweries in between. I've never seen a brewery where they used the mash tun as the boil kettle. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I'm running about 20 out of 20 don't.

sause said:
Acuallly they use a lauter tun, which is where they sparge. So they mash in one kettle transfer over to the lauter tun, and the runnings are brought back to the kettle. This way they only need to have one heat source.

They move the grain from the Mash Tun to another vessel to sparge it? That seems weird. I could see using the HLT (hot liquor tank) as the boil kettle. That's what I do. Heat water in the HLT, mash in a cooler, collect runnings in another cooler, batch sparge in the mash cooler where the grains are already sitting there from the mash, collect second runnings in the extra cooler, then transfer wort to HLT which is now a boil ketlle.

Back