Harsh tasting wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiffybrew

Reaction score
I've made two wines so far and they've both tasted very tart. Almost to the point its a bit harsh. My first was a raspberry wine made of juice concentrate. I added Montrachet yeast and let it sit for two weeks. Great smell and flavor but its a little too tart for me.
My second wine was a pineapple wine made from concentrate too. Same thing, great flavor and smell but very tart and a little harsh taste.
What can i do to make it less tart? Will time make the harsh taste go away?

my dad always blends his to make them right. he also add some type of sweetner to fix the problem that you have. but i relaly dont know what it is. its not any type of yeast fuel i know.

I have heard alot that pineapple wine needs a very long time to age correctly. It may be the same with raspberries, seeing that they are both possibly tart fruits. you are probably best off if you just let them age for a good long time. sweetening is another option as stated above. someone more knowledgeable about wine may have some tips on this also.

Yes, both of those are pretty acidic fruit. Also, age does help alot. I try to not drink any wines before two years old, but my husband digs into them before that.

You could try following a proven recipe, and see how that works out.

What can i do to make it less tart? Will time make the harsh taste go away?

No need to worry. You can actually add sugar to the wine and take away some of the perceived acidity. Try pouring a measured amount - say 6 oz - in a glass and stir 1/2t of sugar. If it's too sweet or too tart, adjust the amount. When you get it where you want it, add the adjusted amount to a decanted bottle and no one will be the wiser.

Thanks for the input, i guess that the acidity of the fruit is my major contributor. How long do you typically age your wines? I can't wait so most of the time i'm trying them by 3 months.

Back