Brother in law had a crazy idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The obvious question is why would you want do that?

Brothers in law with dumb ideas don't need encouragement or they will be expecting you to go along with all of their moronic plans. Save yourself the headache, before you end up with the entire free world laughing at you when his video of you water skiing on a couch goes viral.

Ask me how I know this

Brothers in law with dumb ideas don't need encouragement or they will be expecting you to go along with all of their moronic plans. Save yourself the headache, before you end up with the entire free world laughing at you when his video of you water skiing on a couch goes viral.

Ask me how I know this

I must have some pretty mellow in-laws, but ok, I'll bite. How do you know this Paul?

On the encouragement side, may I point you in this direction?

That is a pretty decent cola syrup recipe, I would guess throwing some of those things into your brew ingredients along with a heavier dose than normal of the right caramel malt may get you close to what you're looking for.

Personally, if you're going to brew beer, brew beer. If you're going to brew cola, brew cola. It may not be a good idea to mix the two. Remember the short lived show "Cosby" (not to be confused with "The Cosby Show")? I remember a scene where his wife says "Why did you buy pickled eggs?" and he says, "I like pickles, and I like eggs, it seemed like a good idea at the time."

Yeah, something like that.

I must have some pretty mellow in-laws, but ok, I'll bite. How do you know this Paul?

On the encouragement side, may I point you in this direction?

That is a pretty decent cola syrup recipe, I would guess throwing some of those things into your brew ingredients along with a heavier dose than normal of the right caramel malt may get you close to what you're looking for.

Personally, if you're going to brew beer, brew beer. If you're going to brew cola, brew cola. It may not be a good idea to mix the two. Remember the short lived show "Cosby" (not to be confused with "The Cosby Show")? I remember a scene where his wife says "Why did you buy pickled eggs?" and he says, "I like pickles, and I like eggs, it seemed like a good idea at the time."

Yeah, something like that.

Personally, I like picked eggs.

And I'll trade you even up, BIL for BIL. Then you'll understand.

Many a good man has gone astray by a seemingly harmless brother in law.

Ask me how I know this

Youtube link???

My answer to that would be "why?" If I want a coke I'll drink a Coke, if I want to get drunk on Coke I'll put some bourbon/rum/vodka in it.
And the funny thing about the whole Coke secret recipe discovered is that if you made it it would not taste like Coke as we know it :D

Fermenting coke has been done and by all reports it does not taste good. One theory was that without all the sugar, the phosphoric acid and other ingredients end up tasting harsh.

A beer that tastes like Coke would be Guinness, only Guinness doesn't have all the harsh carbonation and sugar flavorings that Coke has.

I don't know about you guys, but I want to waterski on a couch.

Having used "Water skiing on a couch" as an example of absurd ideas my BIL has come up with, I've decided that I can match him absurd idea for absurd idea. So the planning has begun. I've lined up two toboggans and will be keeping my eyes open for a couch on the side of the road awaiting the trash truck's arrival. I'm torn between wanting a wicker couch for the weight and wanting a recliner because, lets face it, if you are going to be waterskiing on a couch you pretty much need it to be a recliner. I've also been toying with the idea of how to have a TV somehow along for the ride. Spring can't get here soon enough.

You should probably aim for something heavy and sweet like an imperial, and ditch hops in favor of the oils at the end.

Forgot about this. My brother in law is a great guy, but he's a Florida country boy and engineer. Guess that's why I like him. I think he'll enjoy the chocolate wheat beer I've got fermenting though, he's always been a soda guy and loves stuff like Natty Light. Trying to wean him off that stuff lol

There is such a thing as cola syrup available. If a beer was dosed with enough to hint at the cola flavor it might be good.

Back