Calculator for Priming Sugar in Corny Keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read online here that you use less when racking into a Corny than you do into bottles. Is this not the case that would be simple.

g

If you're going to use Co2 then using 1/3 the amount of bottling sugar has worked for me in the past. If force carbing you don't need any sugar at all.... Don't really need it anyway...

I do/will have/use CO2 but these will not go directly into the fridge for a few weeks there are a few more in front of them that will be forced carbed. So I was going to try to self carb these while they sit.

g

I use a little less for keg conditioning than bottling. For darker beers I prefer 3/4 oz per gallon of priming malt. For lighter beers I use the same amount of priming sugar.
I boil it in 2 cups of water for 3-5 minutes, put in the keg, deal with CO2 & cool. The when you rack your beer you already have a layer of CO2 to prevent oxidation. After racking seal again and let it sit at room temp for 2-3 weeks.
Cold crash 24-36 hours, apply CO2 and enjoy.

Not scientific at all, but I use about half the amount versus normal bottle conditioning.

You definitely don't want to use the full amount if you're filling the kegs up all the way.

Using BeerSmith's priming calculator reveals this for 5 gallons @61F using Corn Sugar: Keg 2.18oz, Bottles 4.36oz.; Table Sugar Keg 1.98oz, Bottles 3.97oz. The Table Sugar Keg was calculated using the percentage diffrence between the bottle additions.

Back