Specialty IPA: Brown IPA Stoned American Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnytaco

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast British Ale
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
20 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N?A
Tasting Notes
Hoppy, slightly bitter, first one but a great brown
I used a recipe for a northern english brown and added a few lbs extra grain, then used the hop schedule from the Stone Pale Ale

16.5 lb Maris Otter
2lb Munich 10L
2lb American 60L Crystal
12oz Chocolate malt

60 minute mash @ 150 degree F

90 minute boil shcedule

Right before boil, I added 2 pkg of Burton Salts
.9oz Colombus 15.5%AA @90 min
1.54oz Ahtanum 5.2%AA 4.9%Beta @ 10 min
1 Whirflock Tablet @ 10 min
2.4oz Ahtanum 5.2%AA 4.9%Beta @ F/O

Like I said, this is my first attempt at a Brown Ale. I love it. Definately will try again. After two weeks in the bottle, it has conditioned into a nice beer. The extra hops add a layer of flavor that isn't in most browns, but is nice if you're American and are used to hoppier beers. My friends say it's like a Newcastle on steroids.

I've done this recipe twice now and I think it's great. I kegged the last batch and after ten days on gas in the fridge, it's just as good, if not better than the bottled version. I did 5 gal with White Labs Burton ale yeast and the other 5 with the White Labs London Ale yeast. I prefer the English, but if you give this a try I'd like some feedback. This is a darker brown than Newcastle. It retains a nice malty flavor, has a good head and doesn't really remind me of Stone Pale Ale until I burp. Then the taste is the same.

When you added the Ahtanum. You said @F/O. What do you mean by F/O?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Instead of sugar trim..i would make a batch of green dragon and use a medicine dropper to individually dose each bottle or upscale for kegging..i know from trial and error...

Back