Japanese Movies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i played the free demo of ninja gaided 3 on my xbox 360 lastnight and thought it was a good demo. a half hour of slicing and diceing is always fun

Pretty much all of Kurosawa's films are good. Seven Samurai, Ran, Yojimbo Sanjuro, and Rashomon off the top of my head.

Twilight Samurai is worth watching too.

Pretty much all of Kurosawa's films are good. Seven Samurai, Ran, Yojimbo Sanjuro, and Rashomon off the top of my head.

Twilight Samurai is worth watching too.
:rockin:

Red Beard and High and Low (a more modern film) are great too.

Come on!!!! You gotta start off with Seven Samurai!!!!! If you've ever watched a spaghetti western oddly everything is ripped off from it.

Start? No this isn't the start. This is the continuation of years of watching Japanese movies.

Ran is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Start? No this isn't the start. This is the continuation of years of watching Japanese movies.

Ran is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Years ago I worked in special effects&editing and I met a film editor. I got into spiral of watching japanese movies after he asked me which movies I watched over the weekend. It started off with talking about spaghetti westerns and he gave me a documentary on Sergio Leone which was incredibly interesting. It spent a lot of time on parallels with Seven Samurai. I then got hooked on Japanese movies. I like Seven Samurai probably more for the history and timeframe created. A lot of movie snobs treat it the same way as Citizen Kane. It's fun to debate and yet see what is reused over and over again.

Love Japanese movies, although strangely I didn't enjoy Ran that much. Go figure.
I just got back from a vacation in Japan where I went to the Toei Studios theme park. What a blast! Samurai swordfighting shows in the streets, a ninja house with secret entrances and exits and ambushes, actors walking among the guests in full samurai costume. It was awesome.

It's Korean, but check out, "I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK". Weird freaking movie.

That one is out there, but pretty cool. Pretty light stuff from the same guy that did "Oldboy".

"Departures" is a great, feel good Japanese flick and "Kikujiro" is a bit odd but had me howling at a couple points.

+1

Loved Izo and Ichi the Killer, haven't seen 13 assassins yet ...

Suicide Club and Battle Royale are two of my other favorite japanese movies.

!3 Assassins was great. Highly recommend it.

Years ago I worked in special effects&editing and I met a film editor. I got into spiral of watching japanese movies after he asked me which movies I watched over the weekend. It started off with talking about spaghetti westerns and he gave me a documentary on Sergio Leone which was incredibly interesting. It spent a lot of time on parallels with Seven Samurai. I then got hooked on Japanese movies. I like Seven Samurai probably more for the history and timeframe created. A lot of movie snobs treat it the same way as Citizen Kane. It's fun to debate and yet see what is reused over and over again.

The similarities are striking. I read a commentary on the Magnificent Seven that talked extensively about the commonality of Western and Samurai movies.

It was pretty dead on.

Love Japanese movies, although strangely I didn't enjoy Ran that much. Go figure.
I just got back from a vacation in Japan where I went to the Toei Studios theme park. What a blast! Samurai swordfighting shows in the streets, a ninja house with secret entrances and exits and ambushes, actors walking among the guests in full samurai costume. It was awesome.

Sounds like it.

But you didn't like Ran? I don't know if I can trust your judgment.

I haven't watched too many. My favorite two are battle royale and 13 assassins...definitely going to check out a few of these other mentioned films

Ninja Scrolls - The only anime I own
I have seen the entire Devil Man anime movies as well.

Non-anime: Shaolin Soccer and Kungfu Hustle (Also own both of these)

and now to spread the weirdness...

Enjoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back