Forgot to use Whirlfloc, should i secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I brewed an Irish stout and intended to used Whirlfloc to clarify and Leave in primary for 4 weeks and then straight to bottle. But I forgot to add the Whirlfloc! Should I secondary to clear it up??

I made a porter back in december and used irish moss (essentially the same thing as whirlfloc) and it wasn't clear. Dark beers don't need to be clear. You probly won't even notice, unless u hold it up to a light bulb. It'll be ok w/o secondary or clarifying agents. No taste impact either way, and your probably not throwing this in a competition so its fine.

KuntzBrewing said:
I made a porter back in december and used irish moss (essentially the same thing as whirlfloc) and it wasn't clear. Dark beers don't need to be clear. You probly won't even notice, unless u hold it up to a light bulb. It'll be ok w/o secondary or clarifying agents. No taste impact either way, and your probably not throwing this in a competition so its fine.

I might be hijacking my own thread but where can I find competition rules, kuntz?

Back