I think it's official, I've become a beer snob.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al_anderson311

Reaction score
I have always enjoyed trying different beers from larger commercial beers to craft beers but my go to beer if going out or sitting around the fire was always one of the lites (miller, bud, ect..). Now believe me despite what I've just stated I do know the difference between a good beer and swill, just so happens swill is cheaper and there is always a special at the bars. (they must really want to get rid of that stuff) I have just recently in the last year started brewing my own beers and have quickly become addicted. To get back to the point of this topic I went out last night with a buddy to a place where they had $5 pitchers of swill. Before I left the house I had one of my summer ales I recently brewed with my dinner. At the bar the $5 pitchers were drunk but I couldn't stop thinking about how little I was enjoying the beer, no flavor, body, ect... Last night I realized more than ever that I would much rather have just one quality beer than a whole pitcher of swill even if it did cost the same amount. Quality over quantity will be my new mantra from here on in.

It seems friends fall into two categories, those that become beer snobs with you and those that don't drink with you anymore after you become one. But it's their problem for not liking good beer, right? Right?

Beer snob you say? I really do not think you have earned this title yet... You are developing a palate for things that taste good (and good on you for that!) But being a REAL beer snob is going out for a meal, deciding that where you are has nothing but wretched beer and ordering ice water or refusing to drink anything made by BMC.

The real tragedy is that most restaurants, hotels, events, etc that even bill themselves as five-star or "classy" still have a beer menu from 1980. I went on a cruise last winter and I could get $100+ bottles of wine, some of the finest cigars, and a choice of Becks, Corona or Coors light....really?

:mad:

I came to smack you around for being a snob. You sir, are not a beer snob. You appreciate good beer. Please try leaving it at that. Don't strive to be a snob. There will always be that time and place for a miller lite or whatever ever you prefer. :mug:

i will only drink a beer if it is served by an orangutan in a tuxedo. finding a tuxedo tailored to fit a beer is exceedingly difficult, and if that makes me a snob...
then i guess it's befitting that i spit on poor people.

No, it sounds like you're just a beer geek/enthusiast like most of us on here. Like Homercidal said, a beersnob, or as I call them Brewdouches looks down on other folks for their enjoyment of certain beers that we don't particularly enjoy. They think they're dumb, or sheep or whatever, instead of folks who just like that kind of beer.

They also feel the need to evangelize; spread the word of "good beer" to the unenlightened masses. (In other words shove their superiority down the throats of folks who don't care...)

They give the rest of us a bad name.

It just sounds like you know what give you pleasure. Just as long as you realize that it's just beer. An no one's choices are any better or worse than anybody else's even if it is BMC. And that even BMC has a place in the pantheon of beer, then you're just a fan of beer, and not an a$$hat.

:mug:

the light beers are not supposed to have a lot of taste, flavor, or body. they are brewed with tremendous precision by people who know exactly what they are doing.

the point being disliking that style is a preference. imo, the light beer styles have their place, i certainly enjoy one or many with regularity.

i find the hating-on-light-beer frustrating (not accusing OP of anything, this is just a vent). i made a lighter cream ale and putting it together it was like i was brewing in the closet. i didn't ask for advice at the HBS shop like i might for other beers and I barely mentioned it to my brewing friends.

Revvy said:
No, it sounds like you're just a beer geek/enthusiast like most of us on here. Like Homercidal said, a beersnob, or as I call them Brewdouches looks down on other folks for their enjoyment of certain beers that we don't particularly enjoy. They think they're dumb, or sheep or whatever, instead of folks who just like that kind of beer.

They also feel the need to evangelize; spread the word of "good beer" to the unenlightened masses. (In other words shove their superiority down the throats of folks who don't care...)

It just sounds like you know what give you pleasure. Just as long as you realize that it's just beer. An no one's choices are any better or worse than anybody else's even if it is BMC. And that even BMC has a place in the pantheon of beer, then you're just a fan of beer, and not an a$$hat.

Thank you. I must agree that there will always be a place for High life with dad and I don't care what anyone else drinks. I would never criticize anyone for their choice of drink or push my choice on them. I dislike people who are pushy when it comes to their preferences on things. I guess my hole point to my earlier statement was how unsatisfying a pitcher of miller was compared to one glass of quality beer. Thanks for the responses.

As you can see a lot of us "old timers" on here like IP tend to have little patience for those brewdouche types. I think a lot of those folks tend to be newly converted themselves and become zealots. It exists in everything, religion, working out, the recovery movement, self-help, whatever.

What's funny on places like this is that they expect that everyone on here believes exactly the same thing, i.e. Bmc=bad/evil empire/the beer of dumb folks, etc. And they get damn indignant when we don't play along.

i have one chained to my kegerator so you're in luck. it's the dry cleaning bill that's killing me

You need one of these then....

xctmpfvsVUz.png

Rubber Tuxedo for the fine gentleman (or Orangutan) in latex for the elegant Fantasy Fashion Parties or simply for a night in the Opera.

This tuxedo consists of a close-fitted jacket with turned black collar, slim line dress pants, double folded bow tie, and white dress shirt with contrasting faux pin-tuck detailing.

i have one chained to my kegerator so you're in luck. it's the dry cleaning bill that's killing me

i will only be served by free range orangs. i strive to take snobbery to new levels- even when it comes to higher order primate forced labor, or as we call it at the chimp slave factory where i volunteer, HOPFL. But it's nice to see someone doing their part!

Its very much like my fiance and I with cheese. SWMBO could teach culinary school level courses on cheeses by geographic region and through her I have experienced flavors in cheese I never knew existed.

What do we both crave every thanksgiving? Her mother's broccoli cheese casserole. The one with Velveta.

I agree with the others, you are just figuring out what you like. I don't often enjoy light lagers, but neither do I enjoy belgians. You are figuring out your preferences which is great. I'll still drink beers I don't particularly enjoy, I can still appreciate the craftsmanship and I'm working on being an impartial judge as to quality (have a long way to go on developing a good palate, if I ever can)

You're not a beer snob, you're a beer enthusiast. A Beer Enthusiast cares about what they drink, a Beer Snob (I like to call them Beer Jerks) care about what other people drink. If you don't like Miller Lite anymore, you don't like Miller Lite anymore, IIWII. I don't like Miller Lite anymore. I like to drink water when doing yardwork anyway, so the notion of a "lawnmower" beer isn't something I particularly give two shakes about. Other people do, and that's cool.

That said, I'm not going to hide my love of good beer from people. I won't force it down their throats if they don't want to hear about it, but I love talking about my passion/hobby just as much anyone with any other passion/hobby does. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I've found more often than not my friends like learning and talking about beer, exploring new brands and styles. They'll actively ask me about things, and for recommendations and stuff, and I love helping them out.

I think it's possible to evangelize about good beer without being a "snob" about it. The secret is knowing your audience.

I don't really mind what my friends drink. I figure if they're going to be pounding down BMC lite offerings that's less of my good beer they're drinking. That being said, they've enjoyed my home brews so far and I like to think I've maybe opened some eyes up to some of the more flavorful offerings out there.

I never put someone down for drinking keystone light, but when offered that or bud light, I will just say "no thanks".

No lecture, no explanation, no crapola passes my lips unless I sometime feel like it, which I never seem to.

Well made? Sure! Know what they are doing? Sure!

i just like flavor, and preferably good flavor.

Light and refreshing? Water.

After working for years in a local liquor store I saw first hand how BMC distributors operated. They were insidious. I don't particularly look down on folks for their beverage of choice but I do tend to take issue with the business practices of the Big Three. They go out of their way to push small craft beers off the shelves when they can and honestly their advertising is lame.

That being said if someone hands me a bottle or can of BMC I can't with good conscience turn down a beer...

After working for years in a local liquor store I saw first hand how BMC distributors operated. They were insidious. I don't particularly look down on folks for their beverage of choice but I do tend to take issue with the business practices of the Big Three. They go out of their way to push small craft beers off the shelves when they can and honestly their advertising is lame.

That being said if someone hands me a bottle or can of BMC I can't with good conscience turn down a beer...

THIS.

If I'm ever in the situation where a BMC is actually being placed in my hands, I won't turn it down or make a big deal. I've noticed that although I'm sipping on it like I would with any other brew, my attention is entirely elsewhere instead of the usual reverse situation.

I will usually just say "no thanks" if it's simply offered to me as an option. I may even go so far as to explain that I just don't feel like drinking (even if I'd drink something else).

Revvy is correct that evangelism seems to happen with a lot of newcomers to a hobby. Zealots aren't often too popular, are they? I try to never be one, though I'm human and I am particularly fond of the joke, "What do BMC and having sex in a canoe have in common?" You know the punch line. :mug:

After trying my first craft beer( it only took one), I made the decision to never drink another beer (commercial swill) produced by one of the major beer companies. I completely disagree with their entire operation. From the way they treat smaller craft breweries, to how they have brainwashed the masses into thinking that "this is what beer is supposed to taste like". I refuse to give another cent to those corrupted corporate a$$holes who spent more money on advertisements than most craft breweries make combined.

i was thinking the other day and i don't know that there have been more than three weeks that have passed since i was 11 that i haven't been drunk. So i am probably an alcoholic. That being said- i enjoy every beer that i have ever tried (probably every thing i've ever consumed period), maybe not the first time, but eventually. Really when it comes down to it, i pretty much enjoy everything as much as i can, because that's how i am- BUT many of my friends aren't like that and, while it is totally inconceivable to me that someone would not want to experience every and any taste that can be appreciated, i am very careful never to push or make anyone feel awkward because of what they like. People explore at their own pace, and some never explore at all- they know what they like and that is that. Making someone feel like a dick because what they enjoy is different than what you enjoy is not a sin, but it's no way to turn someone on and no way to get a buddy to drink with you. I'm not sure what the fun in being superior is... seems to me it's lonely to rip on what people think, unless they like nickleback, then they are fair game...

Yeah I'd much rather spend $50 on delicious hand-crafted creations than $15 for a night of skunked natty light.

I must handle my evangelism properly. If my friends are out with me at a craft beer bar, they almost always ask for advice. But, I also don't put people down for what they drink while, simultaneously, expressing my enthusiasm for good beer. I will judge people at my local craft beer bar on Saturday for ordering a four dollar Miller light when most craft lagers are $2.50.

People clam up when given a multitude of choices and usually go with something they know, even if they dont really want it.

I was at an outing of her's last night and had drink tickets. I had myself a bottle of Boulevard Wheat (out of KC, bottled conditioned) so I naturally left 1/4" or so in the bottom of the bottle. The waitress picked up the bottle and ask me if I wanted the rest. :D

Speaking of enjoying what you like, a gentleman at a local bodega saw that I was buying Guiness extra stout (this was years ago). "In Pakistan, we like to fill a glass half-way with Guiness and fill the rest of the glass with a can of milk."

I stood there with mouth agape. I keep telling myself to give that a try, but I cant seem to get myself to.

What's so cool about consumables of any sort is not only do they become part of the culture almost immediately after invention, but the fashion in which it is consumed evolves over time and differently from place to place.

Worse than the beer snob is the beer moron who calls you a beer snob simply because you don't like the taste of his favorite cheap beer.

Quote++;

MAN does that annoy me!

It's very common. Here is an example of drunk conversations with Bros.

Bro: Wait...you don't like the taste of Budweiser? It's the King of Beers, bro. Sack up and stop being such a beer snob.

Me: I can drink it, but I really don't like the taste of that beer.

Bro: Pfft. Whatever, beer snob. You think your better than me don't you.

Me: Well, yes I do think I'm better than you, but not because I like to drink Ommegang instead of Bud. :p

You know, I must say, my first post was meant to be sarcastic, but after reading for a while, I've been humbled by the realization that I have become a little over-zealous. Thank you HBT for slapping me over the head a little and woken me to my own *****ebaggery. I didn't even see it.

Pffft....

I bought two aluminum bottles of Miller Lite the other day.

I guess I should also mention that I bought them to make a backpacking alcohol stove out of.

I already drank one of them and I'm pretty sure I could taste it a little...

I was at an outing of her's last night and had drink tickets. I had myself a bottle of Boulevard Wheat (out of KC, bottled conditioned) so I naturally left 1/4" or so in the bottom of the bottle. The waitress picked up the bottle and ask me if I wanted the rest. :D

I drink it all. The yeasties are tasty! And nutritious!

Never thought I'd turn into a beer snob, but I laugh on the inside when somebody tells me they like "different" beers, like Blue Moon or Shock Top. I should feel good that they're willing to try different things, but when you've tasted things like Cuvee Rene or Three Philosophers, you wonder how people can be content to drink their BMC stuff, but to each his own!

Back