Grilled Sirloin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Sunflower Markets has Top Sirloin on sale this week for $2.99 a pound so I thought I would give it a go.

Man were these good, less than 9 bucks total and better than most steaks in a restaurant. Washed down with a fresh cold Bavarian Hefeweizen.

SirloinOnTheEgg.jpg

"Sirloin, the steak so good it was knighted"

I keep about 15 of them in the freezer, I found a great butcher in AZ with really nice cuts

they're opening a Sunflower Market right around the corner from my work. I've never heard of them before...good place?

Oh, and steaks look great. Hardwood lump charcoal, I see? Nice.

they're opening a Sunflower Market right around the corner from my work. I've never heard of them before...good place?

Oh, and steaks look great. Hardwood lump charcoal, I see? Nice.

Sunflower Market is great. They always run sales on natural meats this this. Last week was boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.99/lb.

They also run weekly sales on wine & beer.

Lump charcoal is the only way to go when grilling a steak. These puppies were seared at 700 degrees.

I purchase a whole sirloin sub-primal from Sam's Club and butcher it my self. There is a small muscle on top side (the little hanging piece on the lower steak in the pic above) that is really tender and tastes fantastic. The problem is that its grain runs perpendicular to the bulk of the sirloin, so it seams tough when the whole sirloin is sliced. However, if you remove it intact and slice it across the grain it is known as a culotte steak, the "filet" of the sirloin. Apparently when mass production of meat butchering came in to play, it was much easier to just forgo removing it, but rather easier and cheaper to just slice the whole thing. Its kind of a shame really.

BTW, the steaks look great!

I purchase a whole sirloin sub-primal from Sam's Club and butcher it my self. There is a small muscle on top side (the little hanging piece on the lower steak in the pic above) that is really tender and tastes fantastic. The problem is that its grain runs perpendicular to the bulk of the sirloin, so it seams tough when the whole sirloin is sliced. However, if you remove it intact and slice it across the grain it is known as a culotte steak, the "filet" of the sirloin. Apparently when mass production of meat butchering came in to play, it was much easier to just forgo removing it, but rather easier and cheaper to just slice the whole thing. Its kind of a shame really.

That was very interesting. Thanks.

I have been cooking mine from frozen lately. You can still get them good and charred and bloody rare if that suits you.(as it does ME)

Sounds like you might be talking about what a lot of people refer to as a tritip.

Good video. I think I'll make my way down to Costco and pick up a top sirloin. I'll get some good steaks and and grind the rest.

Lookin' good, Ed. A well-seasoned and smartly cooked sirloin is hard to beat. Nicely done. :mug:

I love me some sirloin steaks. I'm watching my fat intake (need to get my numbers down) and the sirloin is about as lean as it comes, steak-wise, but still damned tasty. Getting it on the cheap is bonus.

Only problem with sirloin is that my wife will only eat a steak well done. Sirloin turns to pretty much leather like that.

Back