Suggestion for American wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emme08

Reaction score
Hi, I need some suggestion to brew an american wheat beer. I'm looking for a refreshing, low alcohol beer, I have elaborated this recipe inspirin from the Sierra Nevada Wheat clone:

Final gallons: 4 (5 in boil)
OG 1,041; IBU: 25,4

2.00 pound Dry wheat extract (55%)
1.35 pound Light dry extract (37%)
0.15 pound caramunich (4%)
0.15 pound orange blossom honey (4%)

Hops in pellets:
0.35 oz Perle @ 60 min
0.25 oz perle @ 30 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 5 min

What do you think about?
I will put orange blossom honey last 10 minutes in boil, do you thin it's better to omit them and replace whith 0.2/0.3 oz of bitter (or sweet?) orange peel?
Do you thin wyeast American Ale n°1056 is ok?

Thank's in advance!

What's the OG on that? It looks fairly low, but I don't have my software on my work computer. Also, you won't get any real orange flavor/aroma from orange blossom honey, so if that's what you want, use orange. I prefer the zest of bitter oranges, but I have no idea what varieties you have available in Italy.

The og is 1041, i think ther's some errors in kilograms-pound conversion. I will arrive at 1045, so take this for good, and a fg around 1011-1010.
I have already zest of bitter orange, so i will use them, thank's!

Hops in pellets:
0.35 oz Perle @ 60 min
0.25 oz perle @ 30 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 5 min

I got already also tettanger hop, I'm thinking to use this instead of perle, naturally maintaining the same ibu's value.
What do you think about the match of tettanger and cascade?

Any comment / suggestion is good for me!

If you have to buy another yeast, look into Wyyeast 1010. It is the american wheat yeast. Its super neutral and does a great job on wheat beers. Easy to harvest and re-use too.

If you have to buy another yeast, look into Wyyeast 1010. It is the american wheat yeast. Its super neutral and does a great job on wheat beers. Easy to harvest and re-use too.

Thak's, i have read something about that yeast but i can't find it in italy :(
I do not trust to buy it abroad, no problems for malt and hops, but liquid yeast are too delicate! So i replace it whit anther neutral yeast...

Just so you know, you're not really going to get much honey flavor from that small addition. However, that may not be your intention. In any case, it will definitely make it a lighter bodied beer like you seem to want.

yeah, I wouldnt bother with the Honey too much. You might get a hint of it through aroma but that is pretty much it. Try some Orange/lemon peel and coriander.

Thank's for the answers!

Well, so I can stay with 4% of honey to have a lighter body and some aroma, and also try orange peel.

Back