Is my Hefe trashed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Fedwell

Reaction score
I mistakenly let a Hefe go in a primary for 5 weeks. I have had many of my ales in the primary for 4 weeks before with no ill affect, and it seems to actually help my bigger beers. I am new to wheat beers, as this was my second. The final gravity is 1.004 from 1.052. Very strong fairly sour tasting. Is this servable to those who can stand it? I haven't chilled or carbed it yet as I don't want to waste space/ time. The sample I tasted when kegging was pretty tart.

I mistakenly let a Hefe go in a primary for 5 weeks. I have had many of my ales in the primary for 4 weeks before with no ill affect, and it seems to actually help my bigger beers. I am new to wheat beers, as this was my second. The final gravity is 1.004 from 1.052. Very strong fairly sour tasting. Is this servable to those who can stand it? I haven't chilled or carbed it yet as I don't want to waste space/ time. The sample I tasted when kegging was pretty tart.

Hefewiezen tend to be tart. You may perceive tartness more than others so it's hard to say. I would reserve judgment till it's carbed and chilled. If it's still too tart letting it sit should mellow the tartness.

Like clonefarmer said, chilled and carbonated will change it completely. When you first pour it, allow the head to form and then breathe for a few minutes, it will taste much better. My first hefe had the same character you are describing.

Back