Single tier non-HERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
I recently acquired a few keggles and I want to upgrade to 10 gallon batches (big suprise huh?). Anyway, I have a few criteria for the rig I would like to design:

1.) I cannot be a gravity system. I cannot imagine a HLT sitting on top of an A-frame ladder, enough said.

2.) I am not ready for a HERMS or a RIMS. Don't get me wrong, they are both excellent designs each with advantages and disadvantages; I am just "not there yet."

3.) I do not want to lift anything during the process; except maybe a 12ozer ;)

4.) The following things are important to me: simplified brew day, mid level efficiencies, ease of operation - no surprises.

After weighing all the options I think the best design for me right now is a single tier system, with a 10 gal cooler MTL, flanked by 2 keggles, gas fired for now, and a march pump to move liquid. Is it possible to sparge slowly with a march pump? Is the march pump capable of filling the the BK without gravity's help? I really need some help with this - thanks in advance.

There's no gravity in a single tier so one pump means one flow (batch sparge). You can fly sparge with two pumps or you can collect the runnings in a bucket or manually move the sparge water in small increments.

I built a single level stand over the summer and am quite pleased with it. Check out Bobby M's thread on his. There is a link in his sig file.

Latest posts

Back